New Student (entering mid-year)

<p>I just started at UA for the Spring 2013 semester. I graduated from high school in May 2012, but deferred a semester to pursue an opportunity abroad.</p>

<p>I’ve been having a lot of trouble meeting people and just feeling at all connected to the campus. Since I’m not a true “transfer” I’m not sure what to expect – how long it’ll take, etc?</p>

<p>I’ve reached out to a few student groups that I’m interested in by email, asking when meetings are, etc (without response) and am filling out a COB form to drop in the greek office since I’m interested in pledging a sorority (though I don’t have any hope since I know absolutely no one). </p>

<p>Any tips for an out-of-state student who knows all of two people, doesn’t really “click” with her roommates (they’re nice, but we have absolutely nothing in common)? </p>

<p>Advice that is UA specific would be oh so appreciated!</p>

<p>try to make friends with other people in your dorms and classes. go to some parties, they are a great way to meet people. intiate conversation with people and see if you have anything in common.</p>

<p>It is harder to start in the Spring because Spring admits miss all the Week of Welcome icebreakers.</p>

<p>I don’t know if Spring has a “Get on Board Day” or not. If not, that’s another issue. </p>

<p>Are you in a dorm? Do you have roommates? What is your major?</p>

<p>Are you interested in any intramurals or activities at the Rec Center? </p>

<p>What do you like to do?</p>

<p>First - relax. You just started classes!
Next - look around. Smile! Keep a smile on your face and look friendly. Ask for help - for directions, for the best laundry areas, for anything. Students love to help other students.
There are THREE Get On Board Days, Jan. 22-23-24. More info here: [EngageU</a> & GOBD | The Source](<a href=“http://thesource.ua.edu/gobd]EngageU”>GOBD Registration - The Source) You can always go to the Student Affairs office for a chat. They probably have bulletin boards with activities posted…I always check bulletin boards to see what is going on in the world.
So glad you signed up for sorority COB! It may take a week or so but you should hear from a few. Just a few sororities do spring COBs, so don’t worry too much if you don’t hear from anyone. You can sign up for fall recruitment.
In the meantime, sign up for something and go meet people!</p>

<p>bsm2013: Welcome and see my PM</p>

<p>Keep in mind that this is the first full week of the semester and that things are just starting up. The vast majority of people are open to making new friends, some are even actively looking for new friends, you just need to find those people. Initiating conversations and attending events that interest you are both great ways to meet like-minded people.</p>

<p>I have roommates - I’m in ridgecrest east - so it’s suite style - I can’t manage to meet anyone else in the dorm - no one gathers in the common rooms or anything like that. So weird. </p>

<p>Not all that athletic - so intramurals are a disaster waiting to happen :)</p>

<p>I’m a poli sci major - I reached out to the college dems and asked to be added to their list so I know when meetings are, etc -</p>

<p>And I’m planning to attend get on board day - </p>

<p>Thank you guys so so much for the advice :)</p>

<p>Also - for COB - since I have no way of knowing which sororities are participating, I’m assuming recs aren’t done?</p>