New student oriented apts nearly on campus

<p>Wow. Some kids today have lots more money than in the old days. This project is essentially on campus.</p>

<p>news:</a> Despite economy, new apartment tower Grand Central nearly all rented</p>

<p>I lived with the same company my sophomore year. Everyone that has ever lived with them regretted it. Seriously, keep all of your documentation in order if you’re living there. Watch your security deposits. MPM makes a habit of taking them as profit. </p>

<p>Oh, and the commentators on the column are such bitter, irritating people. Why do so many people care what another does with their money, or what one’s parents do witht heirs? If I want to enjoy my college experience, share a bedroom with somebody else, pay $550 a month, then I’ll do it. You can go live in a dump on Mifflin, have your own bedroom, and pay the same. It comes down to individual priorities. Stop being so judgmental! (not you barrons, the people who write in the comments). Times are changing, this isn’t the same UW so many went to before. Shut up, is my thought.</p>

<p>A concern is that times are changing so as to exclude the middle income students - the wealth of recent students’ families if up from previous generations of UW students. It will be interesting to see how things change with the current economic corrections going on. </p>

<p>MNBadger- you need to study a lot more UW/Madison history to be able to comment on the differences in then and now. Some things have changed, but many remain the same. It would be interesting to hear from the sociologists regarding changes over time.</p>

<p>I sense an entitlement generation that expects luxuries they have not earned, and parents may not be able to afford next year even with the economy not sliding further. I noticed much more available housing close to campus that was specifically built as apartments compared to the freewheeling days when students began the off campus housing rush and mostly had to settle for converted houses- this is good. I also noted most campus area apts seem to have most of the same amenities, regardless of being middle or high cost.</p>

<p>The most recent off campus housing builds are catering to a seemingly elite lifestyle. However, I looked at the floor plans- tiny bedrooms, which are often shared. Many of the amenities are wasted on students- upgraded appliances, etc are great for someone with a a job but most students will not be taking the time to use them as they have more going on in their lives. I’m afraid a lot of students are overpaying for places that in actuality are no better than somewhat older housing. It will be interesting to see how things are in 5 or more years with the latest when the newness factor is gone and ongoing maintenance may not be as good as desired.</p>

<p>Every time there is an article related to UW is in the Madison papers a segment of UW haters seems to come out and trash whatever is happening. Probably best to just ignore them although I usually make a response or two anyway. I’m weak that way.</p>