New test scores in: do scholarships automatically upgrade for admitted students?

<p>I hope she gets the 26 for FMS for Bright Futures! Good luck!</p>

<p>Financial Aid awards came in at Bama today…goose egg! 5500 in eligible student loans and that is it…that leaves a mark. Some days I wish I was the kid of a single parent minority living off the dole. I would be golden. Alas, I am the son of 2 city employees living straight up middle class…and it means a goose egg! I fell just below the stats for automatic scholarship…I did well but not top 5%. 44th out of 425 and a 3.5 GPA. No clue where the cake will come from as that is about 33 Grand expected from Mum and Dad. </p>

<p>The good news is Michigan is 52K+ and TCU is 53K+. Ouch!</p>

<p>JCooch, your parents’ numbers had nothing to do with what you did not get in merit money. It was YOUR numbers that would have given you these awards. None of the schools you mention guarantee to meet full need anyways so even with a zero EFC, you would not have gotten close to what you need to make it work.</p>

<p>I understand MY numbers were just below merit awards. I also understand that if my parents were not smack in the middle, the need based factor would have kicked in. Middle class cannot be expected to dole out 30+ a year…just not feasible.</p>

<p>JCooch, sorry that you weren’t awarded a surprise scholarship. As for “middle class” families being expected to pay 30,000+ per year for college, they’re not. Public schools in your home state will likely have lower rates as your family pays taxes to help fund those schools. You also have the option of attending a community college and transferring to UA or another four year university after earning an associate’s degree. </p>

<p>Just curious…what was your FAFSA EFC?</p>

<p>BTW…even if you had a low EFC, federal dollars from Pell (after filling out FAFSA) would only provide about 5000…certainly not enough to make you golden. </p>

<p>@SEA_tide… Check out NH’s instate tuition. UNH is the 3rd highest in the land. NH has NO broad based taxes. Thus education is not getting subsidized to the extent of 99% of the country.<br>
This isn’t about sour grapes. I understand if I had achieved just a bit higher I wold have got some attention for merit. I just think colleges are pricing them selves out of realistic reach for most. Alabama is a deal. My amazement is that the norm is 40 K a year. You do not find that to be ridiculous? Let me correct that. 40 K for OOS. </p>

<p>Jc…most college students in the US do not go away to school, so it’s not the norm to pay even close to that. Most commute to a local public or CC.</p>

<p>What is your EFC?</p>

<p>What are your parents saying? How much will they pay?</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Not at most schools. Even if your EFC were 7000, you would have gotten the same pkg. If your EFC were 0, you would have gotten the same loan plus a 5700 grant…so…not much kicking in…right???</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids… Lets be straight. I am not looking for a free ride. Clearly my mild rant has set off a nerve here. That was not the intent.<br>
I am venting clearly. Maybe golden wasn’t the correct term. For the 3 that have responded back to my rant, the solution is simple. I should have got a 4.00 and scored 2400 on my SATs. I tried…very hard…I worked harder than most to get what I earned. I may not be naturally gifted but I did did work hard. I live in a state without broad based tax to subsidize instate tuition. I guess I could have emancipated myself and established residency as a homeless youth in a state with higher taxes… To attend our flagship it would cost between 27000-30000 annually to attend.</p>

<p>I am not looking for a fight. I should have kept my comments to myself. </p>

<p>BTW…with close to 60,000 posts I need to ask…are you a moderator? UA employee? I could use so e advice in either case.</p>

<p>JCooch, you could take a gap year, study for the SAT/ACT and get your scores up so you can receive UA’s Presidential scholarship for the 2015 entering class or you can do what you are doing and whine about the terrible situation of being middle class and not poor. YOU have the power to control your own situation by doing something to improve your scores, I am not sure why you are not doing what you can. I improved my scores to get the Presidential and so can you if you are willing to study to improve your scores. Best wishes.</p>

<p>@rlpak14… Great advice. Not sure I am whining but by the responses I may be convinced I am! :slight_smile:
@mom2collegekids. Check in box. To answer the question, the formula states 29000</p>

<p>Jcooch, not sure where you are on your ACT/SAT scores but you “only” need to get 1400 SAT/32 ACT for presidential. If your an engineering major you receive full tuition plus $2500 stipend if you obtain a 1330 SAT/30 ACT. Difficult but not impossible to achieve with a lot of studying. You have the GPA so take control. </p>

<p>You may want to read this carefully regarding scholarship eligibility and taking a gap year. It won’t change your outcome in regards to scholarships because the GPA and testing deadlines still apply.</p>

<p>From this link: <a href=“Frequently Asked Questions – Scholarships | The University of Alabama”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If I take a year off between graduating from high school and entering college can I still be considered for scholarships through Undergraduate Admissions?</p>

<p>“As long as you do not receive any academic credit from another institution and meet the December 15 admission deadline for the year you are applying you will be considered. You must notify the Scholarships department in writing of your year off from school immediately following your graduation from high school. As with any entering freshman, your GPA through your junior year in high school and your test scores from your senior year in high school will be considered. Don’t forget that the December ACT and December SAT during your senior year will be the last test scores considered for scholarships.”</p>

<p>Best of luck to you.</p>

<p>

The costs are comparable to other states. COA in-state in VA, for example, is fairly close to the below. COA in CA can be much higher. </p>

<p>Granite State $19,748
UNH $26,552
Plymouth $23400
Keene $22,232</p>

<p>I’m not sure I understand your posts. We cannot afford to pay thousands of $$ for our children to attend college. We have 1 college grad, one graduating in Aug, and a 12th grader (with a houseful to go). We don’t qualify for need-based aid, but our kids have managed to find affordable options earning excellent degrees. UA was not originally even on our ds’s list. He was accepted at some really great schools – that we couldn’t afford. UA moved to the top of the list b/c of the cost and his acceptance into CBHP.</p>

<p>If you don’t qualify for scholarship $$ at UA, I would definitely look at the in-state options you have.</p>

<p>I am a parent, not an employee.</p>

<p>What is your FAFSA EFC?</p>

<p>I know that you are not looking for a free ride.</p>

<p>WHAT are your parents saying about how much they’ll pay</p>

<p>My parents are taking on 2nd and third jobs while still trying to hold together a household with a 16 year old and an 85 year old. They will do what they can. eFC 29000+</p>

<p>I have my heart and mind set on this. I have a much better offer from ASU. I want nothing to do with it. Free money! And I want nothing to do with it. I would not be happy in Tempe/Phoenix…I am truly caught between a rock and a hard spot.</p>

<p>JCooch – I say this as a loyal Alabama fan, graduate of Alabama and parent of two current students – if you have a much better offer from ASU, you should take it. Don’t make your parents take on third jobs to pay for Alabama. Alabama is a great school, but so is ASU and I think that in many respects you will find the experience similar. Your college experience is largely what you make of it. Don’t get caught in the trap of having a dream school – even if that school is Alabama.</p>

<p>If your family can afford ASU, then go there. Phoenix/Tempe is a nice area and students can accomplish a lot of good things there. What is it that you don’t like about the school/area?</p>