Newest (for now) FAQ and Quick Question Thread

<p>But even if I pay like 6K or something for a year for a good dorm room I still won’t be able to get it? Lol then why do they have those prices on there?</p>

<p>If you can get into one of the nicer dorms you’ll be paying more, but there are more upperclassmen that want the nicer dorms than there are nicer dorms, so… yeah.</p>

<p><em>bump for usefulness</em></p>

<p>Thanks for all the info!</p>

<p>Would you mind telling me about the personal pros and cons you felt at this school? I am going to VT in the fall and am very excited, but will be living off campus (which will be different… if you have a pet do you know if you’re allowed to walk it on campus?), the only thing I’m not excited about is the cold weather.</p>

<p>It’s kind of hard to come up with a general pros and cons list for VT. If there is anything specific or even general you’re curious about let me know.</p>

<p>Yeah, you can walk your dog on campus. Just bring something to pick up after it. Also if you’re a guy take it to the drillfield and play fetch with it. Just do it…</p>

<p>Pros:
-Cheap rent compared to other schools
-EXCELLENT food and the meal plan is a great deal
-School spirit and football
-Classes aren’t as BS as the classes I took at the school I transferred from. CLE courses/“required” courses that don’t really relate to my major are still a bit meh, but I definitely feel like I’m learning something, which didn’t happen at my old school.
-Classes are challenging and require studying (could be seen as a con, haha)
-A lot more opportunities in regards to jobs and internships
-I’ve had an easier time figuring out what I want to do after undergrad
-I definitely felt a sense of belonging at Tech WAY sooner that I did at my old school
-Lots of extracurriculars and events going on
-A lot of people seem to take their studies seriously</p>

<p>Cons:
-Financial Aid >:|
-Course Request
-The Math Empo
-Parking
-It’s so far away from everything. Haha.
-Not a fan on the cold.</p>

<p>That’s all I could think of for now :)</p>

<p>I am a female. :slight_smile: Will still probably check out the drillfield though! Sadly, my pet cannot be let off a leash. I know it’s difficult to answer for a student body, but would you say the majority of virginia tech students are nice people? And do you know anything about the greek life? I still can’t decide if it’s for me or not. I am not too interested in all the partying (maybe once a week if that) but would still like to make some good, life long friends. I’m not too sure if that’s “the right place” to look because of my interests. </p>

<p>Thanks for the list, financiallylost! I think after this last semester at community college the only math class I will need to take is statistics, and I’m hoping maybe I can take it over the summer while at home (want to stay away from the math empo LOL). I actually really like the small town feel, for awhile I was going to go to Florida and one of the saddest things for me was the fact that it would be in a huge town! Although I can see where that would be a little annoying, it would be nice if you could take a metro or something to a huge city to spend the day in. :P</p>

<p>It’s hard to generalize such a large and diverse student body as Virginia Tech but I would say yes, the majority are nice. You don’t have to join a sorority to make great friends, although there is a fairly strong greek presence on campus. Go to a few of the rush events and see which ones interest you.</p>

<p>Actually you probably wouldn’t be in the Empo for statistics; at least I never was. It’s only a few of the math classes that you have to go there for. A lot of people like to go there to study, but after you get to calculus I don’t think anything actually requires you to go there.</p>

<p>And yeah, the small town feel is definitely there. Lots of local shops etc. in downtown, and downtown is literally right next to campus. It’s about as good a set up for a college town as you could possibly get.</p>

<p>Is 1525-1526 Calculus with Matrices at the empo?</p>

<p>Vtechhokie - Yes, it is.</p>