Next steps for talented, hardworking student

We were war refugees from Vietnamese war, My son was born here in the US, just applied 2022 college admissions, his stats:

SAT: 1570 SAT Subject: Math2: 800, Physics 800, Biology: 800

13 AP finished (All Scored 5 full score), other 5 AP in progress

GPA 4.712/5.0 (1/250 in his high school which ranked 39th nationally in recent years)

SKILLS .
● Extensive Research skills on math modeling, AI/neural network/machine learning, wrote 4 research papers
● Solid programming knowledge and skills on C++, Java, Python, etc
● Extensive database SQL experience with also NoSQL knowledge on graph database
● Strong Web development skills on JavaScript, ReactJS, C#/ASP.NET/Webform/MVC
● Game development, experience in Unity3d engine;
● Basic knowledge and skills on Cryptocurrency/Blockchain
● Piano: privately tutored for 12 years, major in piano at school, pass piano RCM level 10
● Languages: English, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Spanish

AWARDS .
● USACO finalist, multiple times top scorer in Platinum level
● USAMO qualifier with index of 264 (top 100 nationally)
● Google Code Jam Round 2, 3
● USABO semifinalist
● Science Olympiad Nationals Qualification and State Champion
● Governor’s Excellence School
● ACSL( Computer Science League) Silver (only 1 USA national gold)
● First Place Youth Chess Tournament in local Area
● National Merit Scholarship Finalist
● Presidential Scholars Candidate
● State Scholar for outstanding academic records and community services

Others:
● First generation
● Low income family

Rejected by: Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, Caltech, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, UC Berkeley, UIUC, Tufts, Northeastern … …

Accepted by: Penn State, Virginia tech, Rensselaer, Drexel

My son got what he deserved? Why so many his classmates got to ivy leagues so easily with multiple offers?

2 Likes

I am sorry to hear your news/results. I can say this, there is always a future for bright, talented students like your son. My spouse hires them all the time.
Outstanding people are great to work with and hard to find.
There’s nothing I can say about that profile and the results except this, many are in the same category this year. Really.
Your son is going to have a great life and career. That’s bigger than the name on his diploma. Good luck to him and I’m sending you virtual hugs.

12 Likes

This seems odd, even in an odd year. I suggest speaking to your high school counselor or even principal to see if they can help, if any of these are waitlists…

8 Likes

Each of these bullet points is quite impressive, and I’m surprised that there was no traction with even Tufts or Northeastern. The only thing I can think of was if there was a systematic issue (eg the way the narrative/story was told in the essays or the letters of recommendation; even the interviews would have been somewhat idiosyncratic)?

Other than that, I’m at a loss… All I can say is if you continue with this work ethic, you will have your day!

Notwithstanding the foregoing, this original post has a bit of a “too perfect” feel to it???

3 Likes

Ok, this may get people angry, but it could be that he is a high-achieving Asian male. That demographic has a lot of competition. Schools can say what they want, but all are looking for racial, geographic, and economic diversity.

He has great stats. He will succeed wherever he goes to school.

12 Likes

Also has financial need. Perhaps these edited to add* “highly rejective”
colleges prioritize URM for aid. I wonder if Questbridge could have helped?

5 Likes

Yes, but isn’t first gen/low income a hook?

But not Asian male in STEM-edited to add- just my opinion.

4 Likes

Nothing against Tufts or Northeastern, but wouldn’t they love to get a candidate like this?

2 Likes

We don’t know Questbridge until several days ago

Agree.

Please advise him to not to let his disappointment distract him from his goals. He should instead focus on the long-game. Concentrate in doing extremely well at one of his accepted schools and then shift to grad school. I’m sure the acceptance story will be different for grad school.

Best wishes to you and your son.

8 Likes

We thought it was. It might be the reason some colleges admitted my son

Please make sure your son knows he is loved and you are so proud of all of his accomplishments. That means more to him than any of this.

Cherish the next few months you have with him at home before he leaves for college. Make plans to do things together. It can be simple things like playing board games or going to local places. The next few years he will be recruited for summer research projects and internships - Enjoy this time and do not waste it being upset about what could have or should have happened. (I agree, there is something, but you need to help him prepare to thrive in this next chapter of his life and live to fight the system another day.)

Encourage him to take it down a few gears between now and when he leaves for college. He may not know how - many high achieving kids do not. My D21 needed her school counselor and others to help her adjust to a different pace for a couple months before graduation, but it was so needed.

Start to help him consider the options he does have. There are great things going on at all of them. Do not let him miss opportunities for programs he may be interested in because he has not been checking emails for the schools he is accepted to. If he has email from professors

Can you afford all of the schools he was accepted into? Did they give him merit? It may be worth asking for more if it is needed to make it work.

Hugs do help, too.

13 Likes

Well, what’s the academic interest here? It appears to be computer science, for which RPI, for example, would seem to make a better choice than some of the schools at which your son was denied admission. And how would UCB have been affordable?

9 Likes

The title of the thread is “no future for…” While the results were clearing disappointing, saying “no future” for your son is not accurate. Your son has some good acceptances. I have taken classes at RPI and know many students who have attended and have had great outcomes, including things like working at highly regarded companies (Google and the like) and highly regarded positions, such as tenure-track professor at excellent college. I expect your son would have a great outcome as well.

It’s impossible to know why your son was rejected and others were accepted. The awards are clearly impressive, but there are other evaluated criteria that can less visible such as essays, LORs, GC evaluation, interview, etc.

20 Likes

Alternatively, if your son cannot find his people at one of these schools, or feels he has no intellectual peers, there is always the possibility of transferring to one of the top schools. It is exceedingly difficult given so few transfer slots, and the narrative/rationale for transferring will have to be incredibly compelling… But, better to move on with life and excel!

2 Likes

Thanks for your advice. His mom expected him got good school with financial aids, unfortunately those schools gave offers to us, all have very limited financial aids. The student loans are also just around $3300. Attending colleges not with much funding/generous grants, is really a financial burden too.

2 Likes

Honestly, those colleges that rejected him have too many qualified applicants, especially from east coast / New England/ MidAtlantic regions They take their pick. It is not personal against your son.

4 Likes

Did a teacher or your school counselor review your son’s application essays?

Your son’s test scores, classes, and awards are impressive. It makes me wonder if something about the essays hurt his chances. Some of the schools that did not admit him do not consider race and, with his qualifications, I would expect him to do well among his peers even if at a school suspected of having a bias against Asian applicants.

In any case, his talent and hard work have not been wasted, but will benefit him going forward.

There is something to be said for going somewhere where the competition is less fierce for participation in popular clubs, desirable research and internship opportunities, and access to professors. A talented and hardworking student can really shine in that environment. He has the skills he needs to bloom wherever he is planted.

I am sorry for the disappointing results, which must be hurtful, but I don’t think your son’s future is any less bright.

8 Likes

I wonder if
@Mwfan1921 @Lindagaf @MYOS1634
Have ideas for affordable options.

See this student’s thread two years ago- had DACA status, waited for green card and questbridge