NHSGA and CMU Pre-College Summer Online

My son is interested in the National High School Game Academy program through Carnegie Mellon. It appears like a very attractive program as we have no been able to find anything similar anywhere else that compares to it’s 6-week game development program.

My only concern is the website indicates it will be online again for the summer 2021 program.

Has anyone done the 2020 online CMU Pre-College NHSGA? How was your experience and was it worthwhile? In addition to working with peers on a deliverable, I really want my son to experience taste of how of college/dorm living is plus be immersed in a good intense program with like-minds. Did anyone successfully defer their admissions to the following year?

The NHSGA is growing to be very competitive ( It is the only game development in the US that spans 6 weeks). Has admissions to the NHSGA program been even more competitive and highly regarded in recent years such as— 2018, 2019 2020 (online).

My son is looking at this for this summer, did your son wind up applying or attending?

The NHSGA seems to be going ahead in-person this summer. Is this a selective program, or one that simply accepts all students until slots are filled? Is there a way or place to see their admission stats? Thank you.

My son didnt apply but my understanding is that it is selective

My son attended NHSGA last summer via virtual. They ask for high school transcript (and test scores if available). You also need one letter of recommendation and an essay. I thought they mentioned a previous year had 50% acceptance rate–200 applied, 100 accepted, but I could be wrong as those stats are from 2018?

Most of my son’s teammates were all very bright kids with either lots of art or programming experience. Those who didn’t were good project managers. There were a few that were not as strong, but I assume their grades may have gotten them in.

I think it was a selective program since it’s the only 6 week game academy around. My son has good stats and a teacher recommendation. It was like applying to college. I would still recommend having your child try applying, it’s an expensive program so you will have that to your advantage. Good luck!

2 Likes

My son is interested in this program for this summer. He’s a rising senior but turning 18 this summer. I’m wondering if your son recalls what age/grades most of the students are. Did he find he learned a lot from the program beyond what he already excelled at when he started?

Sorry for the late reply, I haven’t check my account in a while.

Most kids are 16, 17, 18, majority being 17 and 18, so your child will be in good company.

Much of game development is about finding a team and having a shared passion to create games. Your child will be with other people who share that passion and learn how to work in teams. With game development it is 95% learn by doing and from teammates and 5% lecturing, in my opinion. Much of their growth in learning is through their passion and learn by doing. Advanced programming and design are taught, but I wouldn’t say my son learn as much from the lecturers as he did working with his teammates.

All in all, it’s a GREAT program, only one in the US as I’ve searched high and low. I’m disappointed how expensive this program is, that’s the huge negative. It is highly selective now: most kids need a 3.5 GPA and/or test scores w/ recommendations to get it. So the prestige is definitely growing.

Hope your child will have a great in-person experience this summer.

1 Like