NJ to UA

<p>Hello UA is currently my number school, and I was just accepted recently. I plan to study business. I am wondering if current students or anyone who’s been there, if you can share what you like about UA. I am from new jersey and plan to visit in febraury, but am I in for a culture shock at UA. Also can anyone tell me how to find ua class of 2016 pages on cc or facebook. I would love to connect to incoming freshman like myself. And please share any info about the school that you have. Also a draw for me to ua is the idea of southern hospitality. Are the students there friendlier than students at other schools or is it not true?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>* I am from new jersey and plan to visit in February, but am I in for a culture shock at UA*</p>

<p>Hi and welcome!</p>

<p>No, you’re not going to experience any odd 'culture shock" unless being around nice and friendly people on a beautiful campus is shocking for you. :)</p>

<p>You need to read this article about soe Jersey high school boys who visited Bama and Tuscaloosa last summer.</p>

<p>*Cultural experience
The team also returned to New Jersey with a strong appreciation for southern culture.</p>

<p>Most of it was new.</p>

<p>And almost everyone came home with sweet tea on their breath.</p>

<p>“They still haven’t stopped talking about it. … The people of Tuscaloosa really treated them well — just the southern hospitality, which is something they’re not used to up here,” Vick said. “They fell in love with Tuscaloosa.”</p>

<p>Most of the Nutley players had never before shot a gun. A trip to a Tuscaloosa-area firing range and a borrowed shot gun changed that.</p>

<p>Then there was the dining experience.</p>

<p>“The food down there is amazing,” Goudie said. “Southern food is so much better than up here. People are just so much nicer down there than up here, and the air is so much nicer to breathe. Good ol’ home cooking is good. It’s different than pasta every night.”</p>

<p>The barbeque was so memorable, Nutley head coach Steve DiGregorio had a large order of Dreamland’s signature ribs shipped to the Garden State for a recent birthday celebration. </p>

<p>The team also wanted to honor the city by adopting an addition made to this season’s Alabama uniform. A sticker of the hounds-tooth ribbon also went on the back of every Nutley helmet for the season, which ended at 6-4.</p>

<p>For those who didn’t make the trip, Vick explained the significance of the pattern and its association with legendary coach Bear Bryant. </p>

<p>After the first game of the season, one player approached Vick with a question he found especially gratifying. </p>

<p>“Do you think Coach Bryant would have been proud of the way we played tonight?” Vick remembers being asked. “I thought it was cool because Coach Bryant is still impacting football players.”</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Here’s the rest of the article…</p>

<p>[?Roll</a> Tide? to you, too - Decaturdaily.com](<a href=“http://www.decaturdaily.com/stories/Roll-Tide-to-you-too,89110?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=&sub_type=stories&town_id=]?Roll”>http://www.decaturdaily.com/stories/Roll-Tide-to-you-too,89110?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=&sub_type=stories&town_id=)</p>

<p>Hi Jetsfan! My family and I are originally from NJ; we moved to TN in 2003 and D1 is a current sophomore at UA. People expect the “culture shock” to be jarring, but we didn’t find that to be the case. Are things a little different? Yes, but not in a bad way. Our expectations for pizza & other foods are a little snobbier than locals, but excellent BBQ and mexican food almost make up for that. It can take a little longer to check out at the supermarket and at Starbucks because the pace is a little slower and people genuinely love to chat, but it was an easy adjustment for me to get used to (DH’s patience had to develop a little :)</p>

<p>Please feel free to ask any questions that you have!</p>

<p>I went to UA back in the late 80s and early 90s, way before it was such a popular destination for out of state students like yourself. But one of my roommates one year was from Jersey. Ocean City in fact. The guy fell in love with UA. He loved the South, and chose to make Tuscaloosa his home. He fit right in just fine, and he was NOT in a Frat. </p>

<p>It helped that he was a very attractive guy I think, but still, he loved UA.</p>

<p>And I’m guessing from your username that you’re a football fan, and football doesn’t get any better than at Bama.</p>