NM Semifinalist Denied Scholarships?

<p>Even though the NMF scholarship is assured, he has to go thru the formality of filling out the app. He doesn’t have to go into big detail about ECs and such if he doesn’t want to.</p>

<p>**AND…if he’s majoring in Engineering or Computer Science, he’ll get an additional $2500 per year. BUT…he must submit his scholarship app by Dec 1st! AND…he must list Engineering or Comp Sci on his apps to get the extra money. If he doesn’t, then he must change that in MyBama, academics tab. ** </p>

<p>But, the point is…he must fill out the scholarship app.</p>

<p>Yes, it’s true, that for the NMF portion of the scholarship, he can miss the Dec 1st deadline, but for other scholarships, he must apply by Dec 1st…so submit it now! :)</p>

<p>Right, the NMF scholarship doesn’t cover meal plan. There is a $1000 stipend which is about the cost of books. </p>

<p>I think NMFs who major in Engineering or Comp Science use their $2500 scholarship to go towards that.</p>

<p>Loring: Alabama students are permitted to “stack” their scholarships – whether those scholarships are from the University or other sources. Those scholarships can help defer other costs such as fees, books, meals, etc.</p>

<p>I knew it was strange that pre-med was listed, as his other applications did not have that as an option. He will change it to one of the sciences today. Does anyone know if there are additional scholarships for majors other than engineering? My S is not at all interested in engineering or comp. science. </p>

<p>Also, he sent his UA application 3 weeks ago and the scholarship application 2 weeks ago.</p>

<p>The biology and chemistry departments have scholarships. My son’s girlfriend won a very nice scholarship from the biology department. It was awarded to her at Honors Day in April, and definitely is helping to pay for her honors housing (she is on the Presidential scholarship). A friend of mine has a son who won a chemistry scholarship during his sophomore year. The business school has several scholarships available. The arts and sciences school also has various scholarships.</p>