NM Stipend increased

<p>D received notification from NM Corp that her annual stipend has been increased to $2000 annually. What a pleasant surprise. Roll tide! It shows in her financial aid package as 1000 each semester.</p>

<p>Wow…interesting. Nice!!!</p>

<p>Boy, you’d think with having more NMFs than ever, Bama wouldn’t be increasing the stipend.</p>

<p>However…nothing is changed on the website. hmmm…</p>

<p>Do you suppose that’s individual-specific for some reason? Because neither I nor a NMF friend got any such notification.</p>

<p>For those of us in the continental US. that increase would cover transportation expenses, and maybe a parental visit!</p>

<p>The letter arrived today, and an email was sent from UA to her mybama noting changes to the financial aid award. Loans were reduced.</p>

<p>I hope all NMF’s receive this increase.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Are you seeing the change on MyBama? If so, others should check there.</p>

<p>No change on my myBama. I’m thinking this is on an individual basis. Was your daughter offered the $2500 scholarship from National Merit?</p>

<p>so the loan was reduced by $1000? i still haven’t gotten anything…</p>

<p>Yes it was in mybama. No she was not offered the $2500 NM award. Yes, loans were reduced by $1000</p>

<p>The letter says the sponsor is University of Alabama.</p>

<p>We got nothing by mail and I stalked my d’s crimson email account – nothing there either.</p>

<p>Still $500/semester for DS.</p>

<p>No change for D either.</p>

<p>It’s strange to say the least. I just figured everybody’s stipend was raised. We can’t think of any particular reason she was singled out. </p>

<p>We are full Pell eligible, so maybe that’s it. She was salutatorian, maybe that. Good, not fantastic SAT, high PSAT, but not exceptionally so.</p>

<p>She saw on Facebook one other kid received it also. He, too, is from Tennessee. Maybe that played a factor.</p>

<p>We are grateful for it, but still curious as to why.</p>

<p>My hunch is that it has to do with the fact that you’re Pell eligible. But that is just a guess. Gosh, I’m very curious now. It’s not like I NEED for UA to give me more–I already feel like they’re giving me more than I could have ever hoped for! But it just seems like an odd situation. I don’t think there have been prior CC reports of UA raising the stipend for particular people.</p>

<p>Just checked mybama. Stipend is $500 per semester.</p>

<p>Bama may be matching what a few other schools offer, an additional $1k for Pell students. I doubt it has to do with being from Tenn. More likely that the student has a lot of need. Even with the NMF scholarship and a Pell Grant, those students would still have a good amount of need.</p>

<p>I hope you’re right, M2CK! I could use the extra $1000.</p>

<p>I was forced to take the 2500 from NM, so I don’t get the stipend from UA. :frowning: :(</p>

<p>Mesquitegirl…
You need to call Scholarships, you should have gotten the $1k per year AFTER the one time $2500 award. That is what Bama Scholarships was telling the $2500 award winners this year.</p>

<p>When I got the $2500 award, scholarships told me that I then lost my 1k/year stipend, even after the one time award. I’ve inquired about it lightly before (my sophomore year I believe), and was told the same thing. So I guess I was misinformed?</p>