NM Stipend increased

<p>I would write to Amber Capell in scholarships. This year, there were Bama NMFs who were offered the one time award. They didn’t know what to do, so they contacted the scholarship office. They were told to accept it, and then Bama would give them the $1k award for the following years.</p>

<p>You wouldn’t happen to have her email address would you? I’d like to get this cleared up once and for all. I could definitely use the stipend - engineering books are rather expensive after all. Maybe the rules were different for my year though.</p>

<p>Mesquite_girl24 I can confirm what mom2collegekids said. I also received a $2500 scholarship and thought I was ineligible for the $1000/year NMF/NA scholarship. I emailed Ms. Capell about a month ago, and she said I can get the $1000/year every year after my freshman year. If you want to email her to confirm this personally, her email is <a href=“mailto:amber.capell@ua.edu”>amber.capell@ua.edu</a>.</p>

<p>I received notification from NMSC two days ago that my scholarship increased from $1000 to $2000; myBama reflects the change. I’m from TN, but I don’t see how that would make any difference at all. I saw that another student speculated it was due to the date you accepted the scholarship, but I didn’t even apply to UA until March. I never even had to fill out the scholarship application (all I did was talk to Amber Capell) so I don’t see how I could be in any way more eligible than someone else. I also doubt it’s because of Pell grant because I was only eligible for $602/year. It was a welcome surprise nonetheless!</p>

<p>^^ $602 is still Pell eligible. I’ll bet that’s what it is.</p>

<p>So if next year I am no longer Pell eligible (I doubt I will be), do you think the scholarship will decrease? It seems like a permanent change because the NMSC letter said:</p>

<p>"THE FOLLOWING CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE IN OUR RECORDS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY</p>

<p>ANNUAL STIPEND $2000"</p>

<p>I don’t see a pattern. We are from TN and are Pell eligible, but haven’t received the notice. Interesting!</p>

<p>^^^
You probably will get it. if you don’t, contact Amber and ask why. </p>

<p>Bama is very likely matching what Auburn offers…and that’s $2k for low EFCs (Pell eligible)…and maybe even for some who are just above Pell.</p>

<p>That is very likely the “pattern”.</p>

<p>Pell is given to those who have EFCs below about 5000. So, those who are Pell eligible still have need once NMF scholarship is awarded. </p>

<p>Bama probably had to do this to compete with the Pell eligible NMFs who were deciding between Auburn and UA. </p>

<p>Congrats!</p>

<p>Thanks! We will keep an eye open for a couple of days and if we do not see anything, I’ll check with Amber.</p>

<p>Just read the above comments about the $2500 one time NM scholarship. . . I declined the scholarship because I was told that I would be ineligible for the $1000 stipend =( <em>sigh</em></p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>You were likely told info that was known at the time. I don’t know how/why Bama has changed its policy. The rule still is that a student can only accept ONE official NMF scholarship. So, Bama must have recently decided that if a student gets the 2500, then the following years, Bama will just award the $1k without going thru NMCorp.</p>

<p>I wonder what Bama is doing about those accepting corporate awards?</p>

<p>I don’t understand… I lost $1000 in loans but the stipend didn’t increase. :/</p>

<p>Maybe the money will still come?</p>

<p>What is your EFC?</p>

<p>What is the breakdown of your aid?</p>

<p>You can only get loans UP TO COA after adding up scholarships, etc.</p>

<p>@AJMicro - Interesting, they told me I had to take the 2500, no option to decline in favor of the stipend. What year did you enter Bama?</p>

<p>I’m entering this fall</p>