NMF-billing question

<p>Son is headed to UA next month. He was fortunate to make NMF and be eligible for Bama’s generous scholarship. However, in reviewing his account I don’t see where there is anything credited for the $2500 NMF scholarship. Is he not eligible for those funds since he is taking advantage of the Bama scholarship? </p>

<p>Thanks and…Roll Tide!</p>

<p>No, that scholarship IS his national merit scholarship.</p>

<p>The funds that come from the National Merit Corporation rather than from Alabama don’t show up until later in the semester. So whether you have the $1000 National Merit college scholarship that Alabama awards as part of the overall package, a $2500 National Merit Corporation sponsored award, or an employer sponsored National Merit award since those funds run through the National Merit Corporation they don’t show up until after classes have started. (The tuition and housing portions of the Alabama scholarship should already be showing up now. Those funds don’t run through the National Merit Corporation but rather come directly from Alabama with no intermediary.)</p>

<p>Are you talking about the one-time NMF award from NMCorp? That won’t show up til about mid Aug or later. Younger son gets one of the 4 year NMCorp special scholarships (he missed the NMF cutoff), and it usually comes in August.</p>

<p>mom2collegekids- did you say that your son is getting a scholarship from National Merit that is different from the regular one because he missed the cutoff? I’m confused.</p>

<p>Yes, he is receiving one of the NMCorp Special Scholarship…Each year 1,300 students who didn’t make NMF are awarded. He gets $2k per year. </p>

<p>*Special Scholarships</p>

<p>Every year some 1,300 National Merit® Program participants, who are outstanding but not Finalists, are awarded Special Scholarships provided by corporations and business organizations. To be considered for a Special Scholarship, students must meet the sponsor’s criteria and entry requirements of the National Merit Scholarship Program. They also must submit an entry form to the sponsor organization. Subsequently, NMSC contacts a pool of high-scoring candidates through their respective high schools. These students and their school officials submit detailed scholarship applications. A committee of NMSC professional staff evaluates information about candidates’ abilities, skills, and accomplishments and chooses winners of the sponsor’s Special Scholarships. These scholarships may either be renewable for four years of undergraduate study or one-time awards.*</p>

<p>Sounds like he will get the $1000 credit sometime next month. Will that be paid each of the 4 years? Is it broken down $500 per semester or does it all show up at once?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>^^ The $1000 is awarded $500 per semester for each of the four years, with the $500 being credited to the students account shortly (within a month as I recall for our son) after the start of each semester.</p>

<p>I’m on the NMF/NA Scholarship, and I still have about $1600 to pay for meals and class fees. I’m still waiting on my NA corporation $2500 scholarship to come in. Should I just defer payment until October, or pay out of pocket right now?</p>

<p>If you defer, you have to pay an add’l $40. If you can avoid that and pay, you should. </p>

<p>If you have a credit card without an outstanding balance, then use that right before the due date, then when the money comes in, have Bama credit your card.</p>

<p>m2ck- Alright, thank you!</p>