NMF funds for summer coursework

<p>Although many refer to the NMF stipend as being used for study abroad, I was wondering if it could also be used to take courses at a local college during the summer for OOS students.</p>

<p>Also, if the student does not do the study abroad by the time they graduate, but can produce receipts showing they paid for summer courses at home, could they possibly be reimbursed for those courses through their NMF stipend?</p>

<p>Was wondering if any graduates with NMF scholarship had any experience with this.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>You could call the scholarship office and ask, but I have a feeling that a request to use Alabama’s money at another school for summer classes will be denied. Your student could always use that money one summer if he stays on campus (or in the area) and does research at the school. Many students research during the summer months. In fact, two of my son’s suite mates worked last summer on campus in one of the labs. One plans to do so again this summer.</p>

<p>^^^Momreads, do these students take classes as well? We have a friend who is staying on campus to do research as well this summer, but he’ll be living off campus, as he’s taking over another student’s apartment and will not be taking classes. His mom called me the other day to see if I knew of any funding that might be available to him to pay his living expenses while there. He’s also NMF.</p>

<p>I’ve done a cost comparison between OOS tuition and the local private, and it’s not much different. I’d also have to pay room and board and travel, so it would be more expensive in the long run. It may be an option, though, in the future as he gets more into his curriculum. There’s going to be a point where he will have to do something away from home during the summer, as there are no local opportunities for internship in his field.</p>

<p>Thanks for any advice, guys.</p>

<p>My son has the NMF Scholarship and will be staying in Tuscaloosa to work on his research project. His research advisor has hired him for the summer (June, July and the beginning of Aug). My son said there was very little paperwork involved before he had the $2000 stipend money. I don’t know if the funds were transfered to his student account or if he recived a check. He is still securing housing options for summer but he is not required to live on campus. He will earn money working and the stipend money will cover all of his housing and some living expenses. He will need to store his belongings in a storage unit after exams until he returns in June. He plans on sharing a storage unit with his girlfriend who is also staying on campus for an Engineering Program. They will rent the storage unit for the entire summer months since they will not need everything in their respective summer living assignments.</p>

<p>The best one can do is to call and ask the scholarship office. To me, studying at a different university over the summer is not much different from doing a non-UA study abroad program.</p>

<p>As for paying OOS costs over the summer at UA, there is an unofficial way to take courses during the summer and charge them to fall semester in order to use more of ones scholarship. I know very well that $2000 doesn’t go far when a credit costs $900+ OOS. In fact, the OOS tuition costs at UA and the high tuition at universities in my home state is one of the reasons why I’m likely taking classes in a different state this summer where graduate level courses are only $252 per credit, fees included.</p>

<p>I had a part time job/research while I was there. During the summer I still only worked part time and took one class. I was able to use the $2000 stipend. There was a single page document I had to complete and had my boss sign it to verify I was working under him and the sent it to the correspondent at the scholarship office.</p>

<p>^^^I’m looking at the hometown course costing almost as much as the OOS summer tuition rate at Bama. With son staying at home, at least I’ll save on room and board.</p>