NMF Housing Award

<p>DS is attending UA next month on a NMF scholarship and here in the past couple of days received an email on his myBama account instructing him to accept his 2011-2012 financial aid award. The amount posted under the housing portion of the award is listed as $3,232/semester whereas on his student receivables tab an amount of $4,050/semester had previously been posted (credited) last Monday July 18 when student receivable account amounts were posted. We are under the impression that the scholarship covers the full cost of housing on campus which is the larger of the two amounts.</p>

<p>We’ve left a couple of different messages with Admissions/Scholarships but have yet to receive a return call/email. I’m sure this will all get worked out shortly, but just curious if any other NMF scholarship students have run into the same issue &/or received an explanation of the situation?</p>

<p>I have the same numbers, and the tuition values are also different. I’m just going by what’s actually on the bill… The scholarship page says something like it pays “the largest single room charge based on the dorm.” Which should mean, no matter what the number, they pay it!</p>

<p>Huh. DS’s posted tuition numbers matched up (he’s an OOS student), it was just the housing portion that did not match the higher amount posted on his student receivables account.</p>

<p>Probably just an input error. It would be nice to hear back from someone, though.</p>

<p>We called this number today with a different question. They answer the phone and are very helpful. HTH.
“Questions related to aid/scholarships should be directed to Financial Aid (205)348-6756.”</p>

<p>The amount posted under the housing portion of the award is listed as $3,232/semester whereas on his student receivables tab an amount of $4,050/semester had previously been posted (credited) last Monday July 18 when student receivable account amounts were posted. We are under the impression that the scholarship covers the full cost of housing on campus which is the larger of the two amounts.</p>

<p>Please clarify…</p>

<p>Are you saying that on the MyBama BILLING PAGE you’re being charged one amount…and you’re getting credited a different amount?</p>

<p>Or are you talking about something written on a scholarship award listing?</p>

<p>Your son’s scholarship will pay for his housing…including honors housing.</p>

<p>Can you copy/paste his billing page minus personal info?</p>

<p>Go to Pay My Student Bill link…and copy/paste from that.</p>

<p>I think the problem may be this…Bama only “technically” awards a smaller amount for housing…BUT…actually pays a higher amount. That’s so someone doesn’t expect a refund from a cheaper housing choice…and it’s better for tax purposes.</p>

<p>Thanks. Called that number yesterday and was re-directed to Student Receivables, who then re-directed us to Admissions/Scholarships where we had to leave a message. Hopefully we’ll hear from someone in that department soon.</p>

<p>m2ck - his student receivables page posted 7/18 lists a $4,050 debit for Ridgecrest West under the “Charge” column and that same amount as a credit shown as the Presidential Housing Scholarship under the “Payment” column, essentially documenting that the charge has been paid for via the scholarship.</p>

<p>Per the Financial Aid Award tab which was posted sometime in the past few days and which he was instructed to accept, it lists the tution, housing and stipend scholarship amounts which collectively makeup the total NMF scholarship. The tuition & stipend amounts listed match those stated for the 2011-2012 UA COA. The housing portion of the overall scholarship does NOT match - it is shown as $3,232/semester which does not match the $4,050 listed on the SR tab.</p>

<p>If the lesser amount is posted for “technical” reasons, I would think that information would be communicated in advance. Simply posting amounts that do not match has us left scratching our heads…</p>

<p>If his bill matches up I wouldn’t worry about it. As long as Student receivables shows the correct charge and the correct credit then nothing else really matters.</p>

<p>I could understand your concern if SR had a lesser amount listed than Financial aid. But since it’s the other way around I fail to see the issue.</p>

<p>his student receivables page posted 7/18 lists a $4,050 debit for Ridgecrest West under the “Charge” column and that same amount as a credit shown as the Presidential Housing Scholarship under the “Payment” column, essentially documenting that the charge has been paid for via the scholarship</p>

<p>Good…then you’re fine!!!</p>

<p>Per the Financial Aid Award tab which was posted sometime in the past few days and which he was instructed to accept, it lists the tution, housing and stipend scholarship amounts which collectively makeup the total NMF scholarship. The tuition & stipend amounts listed match those stated for the 2011-2012 UA COA. The housing portion of the overall scholarship does NOT match - it is shown as $3,232/semester which does not match the $4,050 listed on the SR tab.</p>

<p>Yes…that’s because the official award isn’t for 4,050…even tho that is what Bama will pay.</p>

<p>*If the lesser amount is posted for “technical” reasons, I would think that information would be communicated in advance. Simply posting amounts that do not match has us left scratching our heads…[/I</p>

<p>Yes…there probably needs to be some blurb added somewhere. </p>

<p>Maybe they’re afraid that if they do list it somewhere, then your child will have to declare that higher amount on taxes.</p>

<p>NJB - It’s simply an issue of consistency and not wanting to deal with any “surprises” after the fact. If the directive to accept the financial aid award as is with a lesser & conflicting amount did not come about recently, I’d have never raised the question.</p>

<p>Simply ignoring the discrepancy without asking some questions doesn’t seem like a prudent tack to take. To each their own.</p>