NMF iPad questions

<p>I have a couple questions about the iPad included with the NMF scholarship. First, does anyone know what capacity the included models are? (i.e. 16 GB, 32 GB, etc.) I have seen older threads that indicated that the iPads given last year were the newest model, but I couldn’t find anything that stated what capacity they were. I was just wondering if they are not the maximum capacity, is there the option to pay a surcharge to upgrade if we want to?</p>

<p>Also, I believe I read that it is the iPad model that includes Wifi and 4G. Does the student pay for the 4G charges? How does that work?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>64 GB. Included hard case with keyboard. Choice of ATT or other carrier for 3G. Yes, if you want the 3G service you have to set it up. but, the whole campus is Wi-fi.
They distribute them in August. You will receive mail over the summer that let kids choose carrier and color.</p>

<p>DS doesn’t have the data plan and has not seen a need to get it. As ParkTN says the whole campus has wi-fi so the data plan just doesn’t make a lot of financial sense, at least not to us.</p>

<p>I didn’t realize the data plan was optional - I don’t have an iPad. Sounds like he doesn’t need it so that’s good. Do you know if your kids are finding 64GB to be enough capacity? Again, I have no idea what is ideal for an iPad. I was talking to a friend yesterday who suggested I find out if an upgrade was possible if we want the highest capacity model. Is that even necessary?</p>

<p>64 GB is the highest capacity. This is a top-of-the-line iPad.</p>

<p>When I looked on Apple.com, it said the highest capacity is 128GB. Maybe that’s new?</p>

<p>64Gb is a LOT of space on an iPad unless you load it up with a ton of videos.</p>

<p>Lisa… I just looked and that may be new. I’m pretty sure 128 GB was not offered when these iPads were awarded. They may receive 128 GB this year. Hard to say. Regardless, 64 GB is way more than sufficient for D, and she has quite a large music collection. I’m also not sure they would let you upgrade even if an upgrade were available. I suspect they get a deal on ordering several of the same unit. If you find that the offering this upcoming year is not the top line model, you could certainly ask about upgrading.</p>

<p>Yes, I just checked and the 128 GB model was not announced until January 29th of 2013. The units the students got this year were top line units when awarded back in August of 2012.</p>

<p>Thanks all! Again, not very familiar with ipads and just was curious. </p>

<p>Whatever it is and whether or not it can be or needs to be upgraded, we are very grateful for Bama’s generosity. :slight_smile: I’m sure he will be thrilled with it!</p>