NMF/NAF Package 2013-14 & Housing Question

<p>The UA Scholarships website for 2013-14 says “1 year of on-campus housing at regular room rate* (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities).” Is that different than past years? I thought it was housing for the full 4 years. Thanks!</p>

<p>Whoa, that definitely sounds new. Previous years have covered all 4 years. They must be running a little low on all those alumni funds.</p>

<p>Wow! That’s a pretty drastic change! Wonder if there are too many NMF/NAFs applying now?</p>

<p>I just sent an email to Mary Spiegel to find out if that is a real change or not.</p>

<p>Let’s hope it is a typo!! My daughter just received the glossy admissions brochure from UA a few days ago and it say 4 years, but also says “for the most up to date list of scholarships …” to go the the UA website. That’s what prompted me to look there.</p>

<p>I contacted our regional recruiter who confirmed this is a change for the coming year not a typo.</p>

<p>Then that’s certainly a significant change. Perhaps too many applicants. Don’t think that will change things from my daughter’s view about UA.</p>

<p>I wonder if this is a sign of a change in the perceived quality of Alabama or simply a shortage of funds. I hope it’s the former.</p>

<p>Thank God for the blizzard of '93…</p>

<p>(DS Birthdate - Dec. '93) ;-)</p>

<p>I think it’s the number of NMFs/NAs and the cost. Instead, I wish they had just cut the annual contribution towards housing to maybe 4k per year or something like that.</p>

<p>*Thank God for the blizzard of '93…</p>

<p>(DS Birthdate - Dec. '93) ;-)*</p>

<p>that was a very quick gestation…usually it’s 9 months.</p>

<p>Ahem. The blizzard was MARCH of '93 - </p>

<p>Full Ride, Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Oh…lol! Good work!</p>

<p>I’m wondering if the change is because the school is enrolling many students with higher stats than some of the NMFs have, so maybe the school doesn’t think it’s fair to give the NMFs free housing for 4 years? </p>

<p>since it’s Saturday evening, I may not hear back from Ms. Spiegel for a couple of days…</p>

<p>I wonder why the mailers went out with the 4 years mentioned?</p>

<p>The recruiter indicated they were only told on Friday and that in part it was to assure housing on campus for incoming freshman. </p>

<p>I guess with the number of NMFs increasing every year the impact of them staying in dorms all four years was being felt? However if that were the case rather than it being financially motivated I wonder why they did not go to a housing stipend plan like Oklahoma?</p>

<p>I checked and the flyers did still specify 12-13 school year however we were on campus 2 weeks ago and 4 years was discussed as being part of the offering.</p>

<p>M2CK – No idea. Just got them on Thursday. The admissions brochure is undated, but I assume that it is for 2013-14, since that’s my daughter’s year and she submitted her admissions and scholarship apps online about 10 days ago. The letter is signed by Mary Spiegel. Also came with a financial aid brochure, dated 2013-14. That does not discuss the various scholarships in detail</p>

<p>This thread is making me incredibly nervous about the other merit scholarships! I know there was a verbal confirmation of no changes, but I will feel better when I actually see the 2013-14 scholarship requirements on the website.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This looks to be the likely culprit. On the heels of another National Championship Football season it would seem unlikely that funding was running out. DS thinks the housing is the issue. It would seem most prudent to offer a housing stipend for the other three years.</p>

<p>The changes are up on the website.</p>

<p>[National</a> Merit Finalist and National Achievement Finalist Scholarships - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/nms.html]National”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/nms.html)</p>

<p>this hurts…alot. This may knock UA out of the running for my son.</p>

<p>When I asked at our visit in April the dean indicated that the NMF package for 2013-2014 was set.<br>
Does anyone think this has anything to do with the new UA President that took office last week?</p>

<p>Even if it were to change a NMF would only have to pay for 3 years of housing, still better than anything else out there. They can borrow with a Stafford loan as well, and if the parent is denied a parent plus loan the student is eligible to borrow $4000 more per year, so this shouldn’t knock UA off of anyone’s list.</p>