NMF Scholarship and GPA Req

<p>I’ve posted a few times in this forum and I’ve certainly appreciated the warm reception from knowledgeable folks like MOM2c and Aeromom. DS just received a PSAT score that is far above the historical state level for NMSF and he has all other req. for NMF status well in hand. We feel truely blessed at this point with all of his options. I was reviewing the NMF scholarship from Alabama with him and had a question, is the renewable portion of that scholarship tied to a college GPA? Since he’ll be trying to compare apples to apples, would any other scholarship from a college level be available to a high stats. kid? He’s not tying to be greedy, just informed on making his decision. He’s leaning strongly towards UA and we’ll be visiting again (this time w/mom) during his spring break. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.</p>

<p>Here’s a link to Bama’s scholarship package for NMF.</p>

<p>[National</a> Merit and National Achievement Scholarships - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/nationalscholars/]National”>National Merit Scholars – Scholarships | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>The school, the campus, and the scholarship package are amazing. We, too, will have a student who will qualify and she will be Bama bound to join two older siblings. Best of luck to you and enjoy your visit.:)</p>

<p>the renewable portion of that scholarship tied to a college GPA?</p>

<p>Most of the scholarship requires a 3.0 GPA to renew. the 3.0 is very generously evaluated. First the student is evaluated after a complete year (not one semester). If he falls short of the 3.0 cum, then he’s given the following fall to get a 3.0 (by itself). so, it’s kind of easy to keep the scholarship.</p>

<p>the extra $3500 stipend seems to have a 3.3 req’t. I don’t know if it follows the same pattern as above for evaluation. You might want to email Amber at…
<a href=“mailto:amber.capell@ua.edu”>amber.capell@ua.edu</a> and ask.</p>

<p>Since he’ll be trying to compare apples to apples, would any other scholarship from a college level be available to a high stats. kid?</p>

<p>Not sure what you’re asking. Are you asking about other schools? I think Bama’s offer is the best for that rank of a school. There may be some lower ranked schools that offer more.</p>

<p>Value of tuition for up to five years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate studies (THIS IS AMAZING…5 years of tuition)</p>

<p>One year of on-campus housing at regular room rate* (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)</p>

<p>A $3,500 per year Merit/Achievement Scholarship stipend for four years. A student must maintain at least a 3.3 GPA to continue receiving this scholarship stipend. If a corporate-sponsored scholarship from the National Merit Corporation is received, the total value cannot exceed $3,500. (For example, if you receive a corporate-sponsored scholarship of $2,000 per year, UA will contribute $1,500 per year to reach the total stipend amount of $3,500.)</p>

<p>One-time allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)</p>

<p>iPad</p>

<hr>

<p>At Bama if your child majors in Eng’g or Comp Sci, then he gets an add’l $2500 per year stacked on top.</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply Mom & Bamagirls. You answered my question in your second post (about stackable scholies @ Alabama), if there was any potential stackable scholarships on top of the NMF (which I agree is overly generous!) like the ones for Eng. & CS. DS and I visited last summer and loved it, time for the wife to give her blessing this trip. Best of luck to you and your girls @ bama Bamagirls.</p>

<p>Boca,</p>

<p>Outside scholarships also stack. Since you are leaning toward Bama, it is worth a look at your local scholarships, scholarships thru Employers, etc. Bama is unique in that the Presidential/ NM scholarship is the “value” of tuition and not “tuition.” This leaves you some flexibility if you earn an outside that must be used toward tuition.</p>

<p>Thanks Longhaul, and everyone for the input.</p>

<p>If you have any questions, message me. We are also Floridians two years ahead of you, son is now a freshman in civil engineering at UA. He is very pleased with his decision. I haven’t forgotten how stressful it is where you are. Also when he has his ACT score, consider Computer Based Honors or University Fellows, two programs within the Honors college. We have found the UA Honors College a great advantage to courses, housing and personal connections at UA. There are other NMF scholarships to consider, Univ of Oklahoma and University of Tulsa, University of New Mexico, University of Arizona. My son had already fallen for UA, so those paled in comparison. But, in fairness, I would consider those as well so you feel confident in your choice. Son let go of that Gator thing and has never looked back! Good luck to you!</p>

<p>Thanks SpaceCoastmom…actually, we think it’s quite exciting (no stress). He feels like he’s playing with house money now and is looking forward to investigating all of the school options that you mentioned. U. of Arizona is actually my alma mater but I think that’s far down his list. He took his SAT already and got his qualifying score out of the way, but is taking it again in two weeks and hopes to raise it abv. 2200, so the Honors or Fellows programs sound good to him. As for those Gators, we visited there and neither of us liked it so no loss there. Bama makes it real easy to say yes to and we look forward to his decision and possibly meeting up with some of you up in T town. I might just ask you a few questions in the future about your son’s exploits in engineering. Thanks again for the info.</p>

<p>State annuity plans such as the Texas Tomorrow Fund ate also stackable.</p>