NMF Scholarship Question

<p>The NMF scholarship package for UA includes a laptop computer, rather than a $1500 “technology allowance” offered by other schools such a AU. I don’t want to sound too picky, but I would really prefer to choose my own laptop rather than the university choosing one for me. Would it be possible to somehow receive a stipend instead of UA buying my laptop?</p>

<p>From what I know, that is not possible. But be assured that this is no rinky-dink computer.
Last year it was a top of the line Dell, large screen, all the bells and whistles and it is CRIMSON.</p>

<p>Unless you are a Mac user, you should be very happy with it.</p>

<p>The NMF laptop is selected through a competitive bidding process and all NMFs receive the same laptop. That said, the laptop selected has a MSRP of around $2,500, so it has plenty of features. The only thing I don’t particularly like about the NMF laptops is that UA never seems to choose one with a side keypad.</p>

<p>Hmmm … my D and our family are Mac people … she may be a little disappointed.</p>

<p>I use a Mac at work and a PC at home. Our kids prefer PCs because they accommodate so many more games, LOL!</p>

<p>Personally, I think Macs Rule, but I’m sure not going to look a gift Dell in the mouth. :)</p>

<p>On the other hand, my DS was concerned that they would give him a Mac, because he saw so many of them in the classes he visited:-) I couldn’t believe that he was actually excited that they were CRIMSON! He usually doesn’t care much (at all) about appearances, but that really did it for him.</p>

<p>Does anyone know what comes loaded on it? Since they receive them only a day or two before classes, DS would really like to know what’ll already be on it so that he has time to get anything else he needs.</p>

<p>NMx – I soooo owe you a PM!! I soooo will send one, honest!!</p>

<p>@ NMxCloudFX: I can’t begin to tell you how excited my D was that they were crimson. She called me right after they received them & I was wondering what was installed and she kept gushing about the color :wink: </p>

<p>I’ll check with her about what’s loaded; I know that there’s Microsoft Office on there but beyond that I’m clueless.</p>

<p>All the usual software that is needed and virus protection. It was fully loaded.</p>

<p>Cooool!</p>

<p>DS will have to be sure to pick coordinating crimson bedding and appointments for his dorm room. </p>

<p>(Like that’s gonna happen, LOL!)</p>

<p>The Dell laptop is from the professional line. So, it’s not one of the “run of mill” ones that you can get from a store. </p>

<p>Yes, it’s usually worth over $2k.</p>

<p>Yes, it comes fully loaded…Office, etc.</p>

<p>No, Bama won’t give you the money instead. Bama gets these great deals because they’re ordering a large number at one time.</p>

<p>Found last year’s letter concerning the computer with the specifics:</p>

<p>Dell Latitude E6510 with
*2.53GHz IntelCore 2-Duo 15-540M processor
*15.6" Full HD(1920x1080) Wide view Anti-glare LED display
*250 GB Hard Drive
*10/100 Gibabit Ethernet
*light sensitive webcam and noise canceling Digital array mic
*Intel Wi-Fi LInk 6300
*4 GB RAM
*Intel HD Graphics for Latitude-D6510
*Windows7 Professional, 64bit
*Dell wireless 375 bluetooth module
*8x DVD+/-RW Drive
*MS Office Professional
*Meridian Backpack</p>

<p>That’s it, hope that helps, just remember, this was last year’s model. I am sure it will be even better this year. Enjoy!</p>

<p>^ It’s all Geek to me!</p>