NMF Scholarship

<p>Hello again :)</p>

<p>For the NMF scholarship, UA says that they are giving the scholarship recipients $1000/year ($500/sem) just as is. How is this money given? Is it placed in our action card as Bama Cash? Thank you again!</p>

<p>Hey,</p>

<p>Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think it’s just applied to your account with the other scholarships (for housing and tuition) to deduct from what all you have to pay.</p>

<p>Ah ok, that actually makes more sense.</p>

<p>Another slightly related question, though not really haha. Are course fees separate from tuition? I just looked up my student bill and it seems they included the fees in the amount owed. I was under the impression that full tuition included course fees. Is this not true?</p>

<p>As far as I know I think you have to pay the course fees yourself, I don’t think they’re included in the scholarship :(</p>

<p>Course fees are separate, as each college may have different charges. As for your NMF scholarship, look for your award sometime during the early part of the fall/spring semester.</p>

<p>Sorry, this may be obvious but, in theory the stipend should cover the course fees, given they are under $500? And if I were to pay the fees now, I would receive a refund in the fall? Sorry for all the questions, they all just hit me :)</p>

<p>Yes, you will receive a refund. The check is made out to you and sent to your home address usually early in the semester.</p>

<p>Or if you fill out the direct deposit info on mybama, refunds will be sent directly to your bank account (much more convenient in my opinion).</p>

<p>Yes…technically the $1000 pays for the course fees.</p>

<p>You could pay them now, and then get a check back later.</p>

<p>Does this semester’s portion of the NMF $1000 supplement show up later than all of the other scholarship funding? All of my daughter’s other scholarship funds show up as either applied to her account (tuition scholarship, room scholarship) or expected before October 15th (Alumni Association scholarship, music scholarship), but there is no mention of the NMF supplement ($500 for this semester) in either the “applied to account” or “expected” section. I know that the funds haven’t been disbursed from the National Merit Corp yet – but I would have expected that the NMF supplement would be listed with the other scholarships for which the funds are expected, but not yet received (particularly since her NMF scholarship is funded by Alabama rather than a corporation or NM itself). I don’t want her schedule to end up cancelled due to accounting issues, but would prefer not to have to overpay and get a refund if I don’t have to.</p>

<p>Also, under the expansions to the Hope Credit (don’t let the name fool you, this credit isn’t income based) the first $2000 you spend on tuition, books and fees is directly refundable to your tax bill, with around half of that even applicable to refund checks.</p>

<p>I could have sworn that it was income based…I sure hope you are right though Kansas:)</p>

<p>Does this semester’s portion of the NMF $1000 supplement show up later than all of the other scholarship funding?</p>

<p>Yes…because that one comes THRU NMCorp. I think it will come around mid-August. </p>

<p>**You can confirm your child’s schedule without paying. ** Bama knows that parents don’t know the right amount to pay just yet because money is still coming in from various sources.</p>

<p>I’m not even sure if you have to have a 0 balance when the semester starts. I would call about that. They might let you carry a (less than 1000) balance for a month if you’re waiting for another check to come in. </p>

<p>some people sign up for that Sallie Mae no interest deal where you can pay monthly towards a balance. That would help those waiting for other dollars to arrive from other scholarships. </p>

<p>I just confirmed my son’s schedule. Didn’t have to pay anything, even though he has a balance that will get paid by a private scholarship that is coming in the mail.</p>

<p>Scratch that- it’s limited to couples making $160,000 or less. Still it’s much higher than it was previously.</p>

<p>Just checked it too KD, looks like they raised it to $2500 for 2011, but there (as always) is an income cap:</p>

<p>"The Hope Credit is also referred to as the American opportunity tax credit. You’re probably wondering how much money you can make and still claim the credit. As always it depends on your filing status and your income level. The Hope Scholarship Education Tax Credit for 2010 increases to $2,500 per student in 2011.</p>

<p>The credit is gradually reduced if your modified adjusted gross income is between $80,000 and $90,000 ($160,000 and $180,000 filing a joint return). "</p>

<p>If I remember correctly, $500 of the NMF scholarship is credited to your account in Oct. We prepaid the fees in Aug. and just asked the billing dept. for the NMF money to be left in son’s account for spring semester’s fees. The remaining $500 NMF money comes in Feb., I think.</p>