NMF Scholarships: An Updated Compilation

Does anyone have latest on SMU and Baylor? Not able to get complete details from their sites.
Thanks!

Baylor used to have a large National Merit Scholarship but stopped offering anything of note by the end of last decade, as evidenced by this drop in NM Scholars:

2016: 80
2017: 73
2018: 76
2019: 38
2020: 7

SMU seems to have $5000 scholarships for its NMFs.

1 Like

Thanks.

Posted this in the 2023 thread, but will repost it in this sticky thread for posterity:

University of Tulsa used to have a substantial National Merit scholarship ā€“ 10-15 years ago, they were getting 50+ NMFs regularly on campus (a hefty percentage of their class for a fairly small school). At some point in recent history, they dropped it almost completely, saying only that NMFs were ā€œeligible to apply for their Presidential scholarshipā€. Last year we have numbers for, class of 2020, they were down to 8 NMFs.

Anyway, the scholarship is back ā€“ full ride for NMFs, and if Iā€™m reading correctly, NMSFs too.

9 Likes

Whoa thatā€™s a hefty award. It is similar to what Florida schools give to in state NMFs. Not sure there is a better deal out there.

2 Likes

Yes, I understand Tulsa offers for National Merit Semifinalists too. Amazing scholarship.

3 Likes

@PresCarsonTulsa posted about the scholarship in the 2023 National Merit thread.

Glad you found it! Weā€™re really excited to offer this scholarship to all National Merit Semifinalists. - Brad Carson, TU President

The University of Tulsa is pleased to award admitted National Merit Semifinalists its highest academic scholarship, the National Merit Semifinalist Package. TU recognizes the outstanding academic success of a National Merit Semifinalist and believes these students will have a remarkable impact on campus life. The package includes:

Full tuition until an undergraduate degree is earned

Room and Board

Student fees

Textbooks (ALL incoming students receive free textbooks for the entirety of their undergraduate degree!)

Secured spot in Leadership TU class led by President Brad Carson

Guaranteed acceptance into TUā€™s Honors Program

$6000 yearly stipend

The university, along with the Oklahoma Board of Regents and the Board of Trustees, will invest over $265,000 per student (estimated $66,000 per year for four years) through the National Merit Semifinalist Package. Contact apply@utulsa.edu to start your TU journey.

2 Likes

My son just got the mailer today offering him this scholarship. Heā€™s pretty set on Mizzou, but we might have to make a trip to Tulsa to check it out. This is a great package for NMSF and Tulsa would actually be closer to home!

3 Likes

My son got a mailer from Tulsa today, too: ā€œA special gift for National Merit Semifinalistsā€ postcard, presumably the same as your son. Itā€™s the only piece of snail mail heā€™s received so far referencing his NMSF status.

Itā€™s a really tremendous deal for Semifinalists/Finalists ā€“ I wasnā€™t expecting to see any new NM scholarships of this caliber this year, so itā€™s great that Tulsaā€™s doing this. Have a visit booked for early next year.

4 Likes

Is there any easy to access list or can parents post here what the various schoolā€™s requirements are to keep NM scholarships - especially grades and especially any that seems easier or harder to maintain.

I think it would be safest to look directly at each collegeā€™s website.

Just saw Coe College in Cedar Rapids, IA offers up to full tuition for NMF. I ran the NPC with my kidsā€™ stats and it awarded full tuition. Not a fit for us because he doesnā€™t want an LAC, but if you do itā€™s a solid one with a good reputation in the Midwest at least.
https://www.coe.edu/admission/first-year-students/scholarships-awards

Just an FYI here. This is a very old thread. Many policies on awarding scholarships to national merit finalists have changed. The source really is each college websiteā€¦and especially if you are reading a post here (and most are) that is over a year old.

Lots of changes have happened in the last few years.

1 Like

This thread might be a better place for your post.

2 Likes