No AP Calculus?

<p>Hi</p>

<p>My brother is a HS sophomore who is taking Geometry (he was suppose to take it in 9th grade but was misplaced).</p>

<p>I was wondering if he should take Algebra 2 in the summer so he could get AP CAL in his senior year?</p>

<p>Is this a good idea or should he just stick to what he has?
Is not taking AP CAL in HS a DISADVANTAGE for the UCs (mid-tiers)?</p>

<p>thanks in advance!!</p>

<p>There is no reason to accept being misplaced. He should have told his counselors that he was misplaced.</p>

<p>Anyways. Considering that they look at how hard your class schedule is senior year he should Alg 2 over the summer.</p>

<p>No, i did not take AP Calc my sr. year and i got into a mid-level uc (if by mid level you mean UCD,UCSB, OR UCI) but i did take AP Statistics after taking 3 years of regular math.</p>

<p>I believe the major he's applying to is important. If it's Engineering or something then it's a no-brainer. If your bro struggles with math and AP Calc would just mean getting a D, I'd say avoid it.</p>

<p>I took Pre-Cal sophomore year, got a C, and never took math again. I got into UCSD and UCSB.</p>

<p>Unless your bro is gifted in math, no, don't do it. Yes, the UCs want a rigorous senior schedule, but that just means 4-5 academic solids. There is no admissions plus factor to taking AP Calc over honors precalc.</p>

<p>You have to be gifted at math to take AP Calculus?</p>

<p>nope, I was suggesting that only students extremely strong in math should take Alg II over the summer. Alg II has a huge foundation for precalc and some concepts in calc. Compacting Alg II into a few weeks is only for the strong, IMO.</p>