no idea about housing

<p>hey guys,</p>

<p>i have absolutely no idea what i should do for housing.</p>

<p>first i gotta figure out public vs private...
any suggestions?
if public...can u tell me a little about the hall(s) you know about</p>

<p>I always suggest public dorms unless you're coming here from the east coast because they tend to go to the private dorms. If you're looking to meet a lot of different people from very diverse backgrounds I suggest the southeast dorms (witte, sellery, ogg, smith). Although Ogg and Smith provide the best living conditions, Witte and Sellery provide a great college atmosphere. They are smaller rooms, so you tend to venture out of your room and meet a lot of people living on your floor and the floors around you. Smith hall is mostly occupied by students who are not freshman, so I do not suggest that for first year students. The doors automatically shut and it is very quiet, so it is very difficult to meet new people. If you're looking for a more quiet atmosphere with better scenery, the lakeshore dorms are a good option. It's not as active, but there is more space to relax. The buildings are not nearly as big as the southeast dorms and they are much more spread out, so it may be tougher to meet a lot of new people. I lived in Witte my freshman year and had the time of my life. The living conditions kind of sucked, but I would do it again. I know all the guys that lived on my floor and we usually see each other out at the bars and at tailgates before badger football games. That's my experience, but choose what you think will work well for you.</p>

<p>i chose lucky 101 (private housing) because of what i saw on the tour, and what came in the brochures i picked up. it is a bit more expensive, but hopefully it will live up to its promises. i think that the fear of losing the freshman college experience by not staying in public housing is kinda rediculous if you're going with people you already know who are either living with you, or even in another part of campus. either way, there should be plenty of opportunity to branch out to the university community if thats what youre really looking for</p>

<p>" I always suggest public dorms unless you're coming here from the east coast because they tend to go to the private dorms. "</p>

<p>Only Towers and Statesider attract the coasties. Lucky 101 and the less expensive private halls like Highlander House are mostly in-state or midwest students. </p>

<p>Where you live depends on HOW you want to live. My daughter didn't want group bathrooms, wanted the ability to make her own food (vegan), and wanted her own room so we chose private. She doesn't feel like she's missing out and has made great friends at Lucky 101 and at the public dorms. She likes it so much she's staying for a second year - and for their summer program - in the same room. You won't get that at the public dorms!</p>

<p>yeahh if i go public, i think id prefer a southeast dorm cuz i wanna be interactive.</p>

<p>but as for private, i always hear of lucky 101. i actually know some people who are going there next year and are choosing lucky 101. i just hope that private wont take away from the "college experience" as some of u suggested. but from the pictures ive seen, the rooms look REALLY nice.</p>

<p>At UW about 90% of the students only spend one of four years in a dorm. It will barely impact the overall experience one way or another.</p>

<p>Also, you will meet just as many people in the Lakeshore dorms. Someone in Sociology could do (or did) a study on how many people one meets/interacts with once a certain minimum threshold is reached- I'm sure all dorm areas have exceeded that number. "Quiet" needs defining. Is it a lack of late night noise in the hallway? Do not equate it with boring. All dorms (except as designated) reserve 50% of the space for freshmen- the most popular dorms will have the fewest freshmen, ie at least 50%. Remember, someone from the Southeast dorms will have a skewed view of life in the other dorms simply from having lived in one area. Make a list of your priorities and go with the place that best fits them. Rely on facts, not CC opinions. No matter where you live you will be on the same campus and do meet people in classes.</p>