No Rooms Available

<p>Incoming Freshman D was assigned the last hours of the last day of housing selection under the “Priority” Housing process. At the exact minute that she was allowed to log in, there was not one female bed available! The staff at the housing office were still there to take our call at 8 p.m. central time (which I do appreciate). They told my daughter that she will have to wait until May 7 when the system opens up again for all students. She was told that there may be cancellations and room changes by then and “things always open up”.
So my question is… what is the point of having signed up before the priority deadline? She has a roommate that she would like to live with but is afraid that there may only be single beds opening up.
Suggestions or words of wisdom would be appreciated.</p>

<p>I know this is frustrating, but there will be suites opening up. Bama has some “set aside” for all the NMFs that have been accepted, but a number of them won’t be attending Bama. </p>

<p>There will also be some upper-classmen in suites that will decide that they will move to apts. </p>

<p>Since your D only has one roomie that she wants to live with, she’ll very likely be able to find a suite for both to be in.</p>

<p>I’m guessing that she’s only looking at Honors?</p>

<p>*So my question is… what is the point of having signed up before the priority deadline? *</p>

<p>I think the practice of letting kids pull others in causes this. It’s one reason why I’m not a big fan of “pulling in”. I understand why Bama allows it, but I think there needs to be something in place to prevent kids from pulling in so many kids that the ones who met priority deadline don’t get early choice.</p>

<p>She’s not in honors, that’s the problem. There is honors housing available and some speciality housing (i.e. Spanish, business).
I really didn’t want her in a suite either. Don’t think it’s a good idea for freshmen. I think suite life closes you off from the rest of the floor and restricts the number of new people that you meet.</p>

<p>I also have a son who will be a freshman at Penn State in the fall. At PSU all upperclassmen are on a waitlist for housing until all freshmen are assigned. I like that idea much better.
UGH</p>

<p>M2CK - D heard (through Facebook) of a number of kids who were not able to get rooms. I know there were honors rooms and a few in Friedman (D is a business major, so could see those) left last night. Will Housing eventually put non-honors kids in Honors, and non-LLC kids in the various LLCs if there’s nothing else available? I would think that since living on campus is mandatory for freshmen, housing will eventually be found. I’ve got to think there are plenty of freshmen who would prefer (or could more easily afford) to live off-campus who would happily trade if that wasn’t the case.</p>

<p>bluehen85: I know it’s unsettling right now, but be a little patient. Students who made previous commitments to attend UA will change their minds and give up their spots. That will create housing openings. Three years ago, my son (who does live in honors housing) got a new roommate in early June. One of his roommates moved elsewhere, thus, creating the spot. The young man who not in honors but grabbed the honors room when it opened. He turned out to be a great roommate and a nice young man.</p>

<p>As for suite-style living, you would be surprised how well kids adjust. They often become very outgoing and get involved in many activities around the campus. Remember, just because you live in a traditional dorm does not mean you do not choose to isolate yourself from others.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses everyone. I feel a little better</p>

<p>My daughter and her best friend have been inseparable since meeting each other in preschool. Mine chose Alabama; the friend Penn State. I have been surprised about how similar the schools social atmosphere seems to be. Oh, and both are very pleased with the academics as well. I hope both of your students enjoy their schools.</p>

<p>Gcbmib :-)</p>