Non-resident Tuition Waiver

Does anybody have a good understanding of how this scholarship works? I was accepted and I think I checked the boxes in the application for scholarship consideration but is that it? The webpage says that the scholarship amount is $1000 at least. I received a $8000 scholarship from MSU; can that amount be taken as a valid scholarship amount? Is there anything else proactive I can do about this? I’d really love to go to A&M but can’t afford out of state rates…

@saltyvin - The $1000 scholarship must be awarded by A&M. Awards from other schools or other organizations will not qualify you for the tuition waiver. Sorry.

From the scholarship handbook:

Non-Resident Tuition Waivers
A non-resident student who holds a competitive academic scholarship of at least $1000 (or the amount
required for eligibility by the Texas Education Code) for the academic year or summer for which the
student is enrolled may be entitled to pay the fees and charges required of Texas residents without
regard to the length of time the student has resided in Texas. The student must have competed with
other students, including Texas residents, for the academic scholarship and the scholarship must be
awarded by a university scholarship committee. This is reflected on the fee statement as a credit for the
difference between out-of-state tuition and in-state tuition.

@Beaudreau - thank you for your quick response. Would you or anyone else happen to know for the Corps of Cadets would be a viable alternative to a merit scholarship? If I didn’t receive a merit scholarship by now, is it likely that I won’t in the future?

if* not for.

When my oldest was an incoming freshman we also misinterpreted the rules, she had won several competitive scholarships from outside sources to include national ones. Sadly ours didn’t count either and my D didn’t get one until her senior year at TAMU. The Corps scholarships do qualify for tuition waivers. Although most OOS Corps members get scholarships, it isn’t a guarantee (very high possibility though).

Have you submitted the FAFSA? That might make you eligible for more scholarships, some require that to be considered. The FAFSA priority date just occurred so chances are there are some more scholarship TBD.

@AGmomx2 Ah, thank you. I’m fairly certain I’ve correctly submitted my FASFA (and what a hassle it was to do so) but I’ve been reading around here that a-lot of people have already received their merit scholarships (I heard around Feb was the biggest group). But I’ll keep waiting and hoping.

Another thing, does anyone know the process for receiving Corps scholarships? How do you even apply for the program? Do you apply and then get your scholarship? Or do you first see if you can get a scholarship before applying? I know that the A&M application process had some options related to the Corps, but is there any other way to manually apply once you’re admitted?

2 things
1# - http://corps.tamu.edu/scholarships/ Click on “apply” and it will take you to apply texas for a Corps scholarship. They are handed out regularly till mid summer.

2# - Are you sure you want to do the Corps for the tuititon waiver? Do you have some remote intrest in the Cadets?

@lessonwitch2 I’ve done some research on what being in the Corps entails and I’m fine with it if it means being able to attend A&M. My dad’s of the opinion that I need the discipline and I’m not at all opposed to the idea. I’m not sure of that’s the kind of commitment you or the Corps would like to see but it’s what it is at this point.

@lessonwitch2 - one more thing, if you wouldn’t mind. The link you gave me brings me to the Corps scholarships page, which I’ve visited earlier on. The big “apply now” link takes you to the ApplyTexas webpage, where I originally applied for TAMU. When I sign in there, however, I can’t seem to find the Corps scholarship function. Could you be a bit more specific on how to sign up?

Upon review of my original application, there’s this bit in the scholarship section: “Listed below are the university default scholarships for which you are applying:”

Corps of Cadets
Merit Scholarship
Opportunity Award

Does this already mean that I applied for the Corps? That can’t possibly be all can it?

Have you been contacted by the Corps yet? Both my OOS kids were contacted when they applied to TAMU. I would give them a call to see if they have you on their interest list. Ask for information, let them know you’re OOS and are considering attending TAMU since you’ve already been accepted. You can say you marked the interest box on your application but haven’t heard back with any additional information.

@AGmomx2 I’m actually in contact with their recruitment guy via email. I told him about my situation and he said that the Corps would review my case on Monday. I pretty much told him exactly about my financial situation and my willingness to join the Corps to find a way to attend TAMU.

One last general question (I swear).
How difficult is it to actually get a scholarship through the Corps program (all I need is at least $1000 to qualify for in-state tuition). I know that combination of merit and need factors are probably considered, and my merits are fairly decent:

2090 (1390/1600) SAT I
10 APs
3.65 Weighted
Leadership ECs (Key Club) and Cross Country and Track among other things.

And even if I get some sort of Corps scholarship that makes me eligible for the non-resident tuition waiver, how likely is it that I get that? How are the criteria for the tuition waiver determined? Is it decided by the amount of scholarship money you obtain or is it determined by pure merit?

@Saltyvin - if you get a $1000/year Corps scholarship, you get the waiver. Most are merit based: http://corps.tamu.edu/scholarships/