Nonpartier at Madison?

<p>I'm not a big partier at all, don't wanna get drunk and hook up w/ a stranger, etc. I'd rather go to a party to socialize while having a beer or two and am anstaining from sex until marriage. Will I be okay at Madison if I want to socialize but not binge drink and stuff...and I really want to join a sorority for the social aspects too..should I avoid that altogether?</p>

<p>I just finished my first year at UW without a single drop of alcohol. It's my personal choice; I find it degrading and rebarbative. It wasn't easy when my hall came back at 3 in the morning loud and drunk, but you will find people with similar morals. I had a rough time with the social aspect, but it got better as I started finding people with comparable interests. I'd advise living in Bradley or Chadbourne as they tend to promote the academic side of college. Most importantly, just get involved. </p>

<p>Don't compromise yourself or your virtues for others, just be yourself.</p>

<p>bump......</p>

<p>From what i've read, alcohol is everywhere, but there isnt too much pressure placed on you by your peers to drink. Go live at a Lakeshore dorm too if you want to avoid loud dorms.</p>

<p>I also wanna join a sorority for the social benefits...but don't wanna drink a ton..any that are known to not be too wild....or should I completely avoid them altogether?</p>

<p>Anyone?.....</p>

<p>From what I know, they're pretty party-oriented. There are, however, some academic frats/sororities you could join.</p>

<p>A co-op might be an alternative.</p>

<p>I thought you wanted to go to a conservative, Christian college.</p>

<p>tsdad: i kinda do, but madison is kinda a safety for me and my parents want me to apply there b/c of the location, cheaper, lots of people we know go there....so i like the school but obviously its not my fave b/c its so liberal and partyish so i was wondering if i could survive there is i had to go there, ya know. Id prob. like to go to a more conservative christian college the best, but im gonna apply to a mixture of types of colleges for lots of reasons...</p>

<p>Marquette?</p>

<p>I don't wanna go to Marquette b/c I feel its too close to my home and I have lots of relatives there...thats really the only reason why , but any other schools like Marquette I'd like...but back to Madison:</p>

<p>I know that a nonpartier can get by okay, but I just guess I need some more reassurance.... and what's a co-op?</p>

<p>Coffee:</p>

<p>You don't have to drink; you don't have to party. No one at the UW will make you do that it would be sort of against the essence of what we are all about. As you know Wisconsin is a very Catholic state. Undoubtedly you will find many like minded students. Why don't you come and visit and talk to some of the students here. There are lots of very active religious organizations on campus.</p>

<p>thanks tsad, and I am planning on visiting, i also know a few students who go there, some who party a lot and some who don't. Its just that the ones who don't say its hard to find people who also don't b/c even though there are so many students, its not like there's a club for teetotalers...so many of the never cross paths and its as if all of them are sitting in their dorms wondering if theyll ever meet others who don't party and they never become friends...</p>

<p>There is actually an official club for those who don't want to party or drink you know. There are a few articles about it online and you can of course find it in the club database for UW-madison.</p>

<p>I hear they play board games and do other fun little things.</p>

<p>The percentage of students in the Greek system is low at UW, therefore hard to find people who know much about it. No need to be a partier, do need to study. Somehow I don't associate being Catholic with wanting a "Christian" college. Culturally the ethnic groups with that religion (Catholic) are drinkers. Historically, the Newman Center on State St historically has been nice, liberal. Don't bother trying to live off campus in a coop freshman year, do consider the lakeshore dorms. Of course there is no "teetotaler club"- you have to have more in common than that to hang out with people.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Of course there is no "teetotaler club"- you have to have more in common than that to hang out with people.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I'm sorry, but you are actually wrong. There is a student group called "Sober Students On Campus". See The</a> Badger Herald - New campus group focuses on sobriety and the official page for the group at Organizational</a> Information .</p>

<p>Be careful before you make blind statements :-P Anyway, there has been a little criticism about the group, but it does seem like a fun little get-together for people who don't want to go out and drink.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies..and to wis 75, to me Catholics are Christian and while I don't think drinking is a sin or anything, I think the whoel binge drinking hooking up culture is morally wrong as does the Catholic Church...i just have a strong belief in those Catholic/Christian morals and dont want to drink like that in college...so I do want to look at Christian colleges, whether they be Catholic or another denomination that won't be anti-Catholic for some reason. And that club sounds kinda interesting lol...never would have thought one would exist at Madison of all places ;)</p>

<p>Apologies- thought you were being sarcastic. Also, nondrinkers such as myself when it was legal at UW do not necessarily want to join clubs, or consider being a nondrinker enough in common to be with people. Yes, Catholics are Christain, but the noncatholic Christian colleges emphasize beliefs that separate them from Catholics (some "Christians" to the extent they don't consider Catholics to be Christan and teach their children such- as I found out once). Ethnic groups that are predominately Catholic, such as Irish, some Germans (depends on part of that country), Polish, Belgians, and others do have a drinking culture, regardless of what the Church may say (remember Christ changed water to wine at a wedding feast...). </p>

<p>Nice thing about Madison is the diversity that accepts all sorts of opposing views, people can debate each other but can also just go their way and not care what the majority think. The place means different things to different people, one of the advantages of a large, liberal campus. It does take time to find the like minded people, they are there. Definitely check out the UW Catholic Center next to University Bookstore on State St.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Nice thing about Madison is the diversity that accepts all sorts of opposing views, people can debate each other but can also just go their way and not care what the majority think.

[/quote]

And that's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to madison and glad that I choose it over Minnesota. However, i still get that "feeling" whenever I go to Minneapolis and I sometime have some regrets as the big city feel has always excited me. Anyway, after 10PM, everything is dead in Minneapolis anyway from what I hear >_></p>

<p>
[quote]
consider being a nondrinker enough in common to be with people

[/quote]

Despite it being a club, I would consider it a club geared towards those with a common interest, but a club that is just a fun little thing to do one night. Anyway, if you only hang out with people who you believe have something in common with you, you may be missing out. For example, from the first few questions my room mate asked me (do you drink and is it alright if I have a girl sleeping in the room almost every night) I could see that he's probably dramatically different than me in some ways (though, he still seems nice enough). >_> Anyway, it's a new experience that may give me different views (whether I accept those views is a completely different thing).</p>

<p>My point is I personally don't want to limit myself to any particular viewpoint. There are all kinds of things in life to experience or learn about and you most likly only have one life (I'm hopping for a couple more :-P I have no religious affiliation, so I'll believe in whatever makes me happy or optimistic :-P). Meeting with your complete opposite could turn out to be a good thing (or a disaster you can laugh at later on).</p>