North Bluff is now Presidential Village

<p>Personally I think this new name is confusing? won’t people think “Oh that’s where they must house the Presidential Scholars” ? but it isn’t honors housing…I wonder why it changed from North Bluff?</p>

<p>North Bluff now Presidential Village
The new residence hall that will open this fall will be called Presidential Village. This change will be reflected on all future communications and building information.</p>

<p>This seven-story facility includes two- and four-bedroom suite-style residential facilities for up to 971 freshmen and upperclassmen. Executive Director Dr. Steven Hood says, “We are excited about the addition of the first phase of Presidential Village. Once all phases of this project are complete, we will have more than 1700 new beds and a new student center serving the northern part of campus. This will be a tremendous asset for The University of Alabama for many years to come.”</p>

<p>Well, this may be confusing, but so was calling it North Bluff.</p>

<p>I agree that some will think it’s for Presidential scholars.</p>

<p>At some point, I had heard that the top floor of either Phase I or Phase II would have some kind of huge meeting room for various functions since it would have a view of the river.</p>

<p>Don’t know if that’s still in the plans.</p>

<p>It’s hard to come up with a name for a dorm without making it sound like a senior home, such as Capstone Village or anything ending in Villa(s). The North Bluff name was confusing in that it was very similar in name to the other residence halls and an off-campus apartment complex. Add in the fact that the building isn’t really on a bluff (the other super suite dorms are higher above sea level) and a name change makes since. That said, the new name is slightly less awkward, noting that a) it is a non-honors dorm and b)the new president will live on the other side of campus. Of course, UA already had two buildings with the same name and vastly different functions: Rose [Administration Building] and Rose [Towers].</p>

<p>At least the new name isn’t as confusing as that of the newest phase of the Shelby Complex: the SEC, short for Science and Engineering Center, rather than the Southeastern Conference or the Securities and Exchange Commission.</p>

<p>It will also be confusing for a lot of alumni because of the similarity of the name with the old Presidential Apartments (the student family housing complex that used to be across from Bruno).</p>

<p>They should hold a campus wide contest for the name of the new Residence Hall complex. We could start here and pass the suggestions on. How about “Crimson Village” ? :)</p>

<p>Tide Towers!? :)</p>