Northeastern Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

They accepted about 400 through ED2.

Thank you for this post. Definitely adds some new insights into what happened with NEU.

1 Like

Maybe average, I think higher for ED and lower for RD for sure.

Was the scholarship on top of your financial aid package?

You would be offered an aid package that meets 100% of computed need. That may or may not be what you are able or willing to pay. It is like that at all colleges.

2 Likes

It didn’t work on my phone last night. It worked on my desktop today.

1 Like

7% is the overall acceptance rate. Remember that Northeastern has not released official figures yet.

2 Likes

I’d think it would have more to do with the yield rate than with the number of applications. If they can’t do a better job predicting the yield rate, which is certainly a difficult task, they will still be in trouble even if the number of applications goes down. From certain perspective, NEU has become the victim of its own success of getting more popular each year.

BTW, neither the acceptance rate nor the yield rate is factored into US News ranking, but NEU might want to potentially “influence” the perception ( peer assessment), which is factored into the ranking, indirectly by lowered acceptance rate and increased yield rate. My two cents…

1 Like

All schools want way more students to apply. It amounts to a lot of $$ in application fees. Otherwise UChicago wouldn’t be sending so many mailers to HS students encouraging them to apply even if they have little to no chance of getting admitted.

Get way more applications, admit kids who’re a good fit and who love you back, and hope that the yield calculation is pretty close to reality.

I don’t envy the Admissions team at all! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I am not sure that admissions are (or can be) a meaningful profit center for colleges. Let us think of the following example: if a college takes, say, 30,000 applications - whereas those applying without a fee waiver are, say 20,000 - at $70 per application: That is $1.4MM in revenues. Now, for that size of an applicant pool, the college needs a team of 10-15 staff/leadership. At an average, fully loaded cost of $100,000 per staff, plus processing/administrative expenses, the Admission Office will have a hard time to make a profit. In that sense, the admission fees likely represent an offset for the AO costs for many colleges. I do not think it makes (financial) sense to drive a huge number of applications. A T20-30 with decent financial standing/endowment does not need a net contribution that small but I think they are much more interested in the best talent pool that they can attract and that would be the best fit (for the short- but also long-term).

I get your point. They’re definitely not doing it for profit but applications do generate revenue.

This is from 5 years ago, and number of college applications have soared since then.

Yes, indeed. Some colleges drive an incredible number of applications and need to be looked at more carefully as to why. For most, and after all the expenses, the profit will be minuscule but revenues will cover the costs for the admission office, and perhaps a bit more, and that is OK, I think. A few colleges, on the other hand, may be making a profit. I think it is short-sighted to use the AO to make a profit as it can create more negativity than necessary. I assume that a trustee would want to know why the AO.administration is doing it and to what end it is in the interest of the college. I do not know NEU’s position re financial aspects of the application/AO but they surely seem to want to drive up the number of applications.

Northeastern isn’t “driving” applications. NU is not trying to profit from applications. They haven’t changed their admissions process in the last few years. It’s not like they’re creating a fake demand.

I’m really not sure what your big gripe is with NU that you keep coming back to complain some more.

Once again, NU hasn’t done anything different from other schools.

• Applications have gone up for all schools.
  • Students are applying to more schools.
  • NU’s decision to not require supplemental essays hasn’t affected them in drawing top talent.
  • NU’s phenomenal handling of Covid, their #1 co-op program, flexible curriculum with combined majors offerings, global experiential learning philosophy,… all this has made NU very popular. They’re among the most innovative schools in the country.

What exactly do you have a problem with, that’s specific to NU?

9 Likes

Anyone know if there is a Discord server for Class of 2026?

A college can be a wonderful place for many students (and NEU is) whereas their admission approach may be less than optimal. We differ on our views regarding their approach to admissions but I am not going to go over it again. You appear to side with NEU unconditionally and that is perfectly fine as personal experiences are key. One final time, congratulations and good luck to the admits!

3 Likes

My student is currently at NU. I’m back in CC after several months because I feel compelled to pay it forward. The NU forum champions and NU parents were incredibly kind and helpful last year when my teen was trying to decide. We had many questions regarding majors, co-ops, social life etc and they took the time to explain things to us and I’m so grateful.

I’m back here to support parents who may have questions, cheer students who got in, and be empathetic to those who didn’t. The kids have shown decency, grace and resilience and I commend them for their maturity in handling this very challenging admissions year.

What I don’t want is for this thread to devolve into a rant on the US admissions process.

Your family seemed to like NU enough to apply but now you’re resentful and you can’t seem to move on. Your multiple petty posts complaining about the admissions process without being able to explain what exactly NU had done wrong is ruining this thread for kids who got in and parents who’re excited for their kids.

Good luck to your student! They’ll end up where they truly belong.

13 Likes

I would think that showing “empathy, decency and grace” would entail allowing families who didn’t get accepted an opportunity to express themselves about the admissions process, especially when they have done so politely and without insult to those actually admitted. In this regard, I’m not sure that @TrXY-81 ought to be characterized “petty” or “resentful.” IMO, their posts have been neither.

As to NE’s (and other schools) approach to admissions, you posted . . .

Yet shortly before you posted this regard to driving applications . . .

Setting aside that the these posts seem directly contradictory, I agree with you that it benefits schools like NE and Chicago to draw more and more applications so that they have more choices from which to select their classes. It also doesn’t hurt these schools’ reputations by driving down the acceptance rate; exclusivity drives demand, which drives exclusivity, etc.

On the other hand, while there may be little downside to this approach from the schools’ perspectives, the process can heartbreaking and frustrating from an applicants perspective, tens of thousands of whom are rejected even though they appear to be just as “qualified” as those who get in. It might be worth considering this before disparaging seemingly well-meaning posters.

5 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t understand. Unlike your post, these quoted comments did not disparage another poster, applicant, or family. Admitted or not.

The poster expressed frustration with a process that can be pretty “awful” from an applicant’s perspective. While I may not agree, these are certainly valid opinions about NE’s admissions process and the state of admissions generally.

1 Like

NUs NPC has a history of being fairly accurate in terms of what they will offer in total aid to a family and if you are accepted with aid of some sort, and it is not even close to what the NPC told you, I would talk more with FA. They do require CSS and FAFSA and the NPC is really only good for those who are not divorced and do not own a business. For ED applicants, this year they actually did a preview of your FA for you if you asked on time. I imagine they will continue that as well, bc they want to know that folks who do get accepted ED really can attend. But over the years, folks have reported that the NPC is pretty accurate for NU anyway. Also, the school has the NU promise so that any need-based aid will increase the same % as tuition each year, but merit aid does not. They will also keep your aid the same all four/five years even if your income goes up significantly.