Northeastern Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

This is exactly what I thought as well - need blind for domestic, need aware for International. However, Ron Lieber just wrote an article in the NYT in past week or so in which NEU confirmed to him that they are indeed needs aware for all. The link for the article is somewhere up above, I believe.

Northeastern has been need aware for the past several years. It became need aware when it guaranteed to meet 100% of need. It has never been a secret.

Only domestic students are eligible for need based aid. It has been that way for decades.

2 Likes

Who said it was a secret? But if you google it, there is much conflicting information. Lieber said quite clearly in a FB group I belong to that the NEU rep he was interviewing was reluctant to admit they are needs aware. The implication is clear, imo - NEU would have preferred people assume otherwise.

1 Like

A Boston TV station did a piece on the record applications at Northeastern, BU and BC.

BC, BU, And Northeastern Receiving Record Number Of College Applications – CBS Boston (cbslocal.com)

6 Likes

BC’s RD decisions came out yesterday. Same complaints about yield protection. Parents stating that their student was accepted at Ivies and other top 20’s but denied/waitlisted at BC.

2 Likes

Ivies haven’t released yet so that’s just bluster. BC had over 50,000 applications. Many high achievers simply are not going to get accepted.

They did, in the early round. And they also sent out likely letters in the last few weeks to certain applicants.

2 Likes

But if you ED and are accepted at an Ivy you would have pulled your BC application. Very few get Likely letters. So again, it’s difficult to believe that the BC parents on CC complaining that their student got into an Ivy and didn’t get into BC are questionable.

2 Likes

Not all Ivies have ED. Some offer REA which is non-binding

1 Like

That is the point that many miss. They or more likely their parents feel that they “deserve” to be admitted to colleges like Northeastern, BU and BC.

4 Likes

My D21 is applying for a Fall transfer. Looking at the incredibly dismal acceptance rate for RD, I am not hopeful. There should be more students going abroad in the Fall compared to last year, so the housing situation may be slightly better though. Opinions would be appreciated.

The converse is also true. Many parents of admitted students feel like they “deserved” admission over those not admitted.

3 Likes

Boston University’s RD decisions came out today. Looking at that decision thread on CC there are a lot of acceptances and rejections. Not that many waitlisted surprisingly. CC’ers are not a representative sample of applicants though.

So far there have been no “sour grapes” posts like there were on the Northeastern and Boston College decision threads.

6 Likes

Few rejected students will post in CC.
Also BU has a guaranteed transfer which is different than BC and NU.

3 Likes

Northeastern tried the Guaranteed Sophomore transfer option for a year but dropped it. Actually quite a few BU applicants did post that they were rejected, surprisingly.

2 Likes

That’s a interesting observation. My DD (accepted EA at Northeastern) was waitlisted at BU today, and when she read me the decision aloud, it said something about “a very short waitlist” (I don’t recall the exact wording, and I don’t look at her portals). She’s still not sure she wants to stay on the waitlist, but if she thought it wasn’t a gigantic list (unlike, apparently, Northeastern’s), she might be more inclined to keep the option open.

My son’s said the same thing…”very short waitlist” unless they are in a separate group. He’s had better outcomes at the UCs which are much closer to us than Boston…so he’s not too disappointed.

Accepted, CS
UW 4.0 / 12+ APs
SAT 1550/ACT 35
Varsity Sport Captain
Solid leadership/very good ECs+CS related ECs/Volunteering etc
Withdrawn/declined the offer this week.

2 Likes

NU is NOT need blind… they do take financials into consideration. Very few, very well endowed schools ar ended blind and clearly state so,

Anyone have any experience / feedback on the Honors program? Not clear how many students are in this. And I see there are living-learning communities but is this in separate residence halls? Is it easier to register for courses?