Northeastern Early Decision and Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Helpful. Thank you.

Anyone else now worried about an ED2 applicant that they had thought had a solid shot before (DC has very high GPA, scores “in the range”, full pay, not applying to engineering/CS/nursing but nothing unusual or outstanding)?

If NU is her #1 choice then by all means do the ED2. It gives her the best chance. there is absolutely no reason not to and if she doesn’t, she will always wonder if it would have made a difference.

2 Likes

My daughter is also switching her ea to ed2. Husband doesn’t think it’s a “great school” - it’s not Stanford :woman_shrugging:t3: But she loved it and the area and wants to give it her best shot.

Hi @Tbboc

I applied to NU as an ED2 applicant after being rejected from my top choice (Tufts). I can promise you that everyone has a solid shot. I was extremely worried about my ED2 application after applying ED1, but I promise you that the application will be reviewed thoroughly, yet there are many things that can still be done to improve your chances!

Some of the things I did:

• Emailed my admissions officer and introduced myself, asked what else I could do to improve my application, what other documents I could submit, etc. I also set up a zoom call (I applied last year) and asked questions about Northeastern, such as co-op, my major, etc.
  • Researched the school more. By researching the school, or if you have time, going on a school tour, you both get more information about the school to write about if you submit additional information, but as well show more tracked interest.

I can give a more detailed explanation of specifically what I did, but there is a lot more that can be done to improve your chances, even after you submit your application!

6 Likes

I think your daughter has a great chance of getting in through ED2. I wont tell you or her to apply ED2 necessarily, but I think that her chances are there. Of course, there is a lot else I dont know about her application/who she is, but a 3.7 unweighted should not discourage you from applying ED2. I applied with a 3.7 unweighted and was accepted ED2. 1 AP, 1 IB, and 3 Honors may not sound like a lot, but depending on the course catalogue her high school offers, as well as the courses she was in compared to her major, its not as bad as it seems. ED2 will give her better odds than RD. Id say reconsider.

1 Like

Thank you for your very valuable insight. DC visited last fall (loved it). Does continuing to show interest matter at this point (once application is submitted)? Worried about pestering admin during their busiest time…

This is what is stated in frequently asked questions on Northeastern’s website:

How do I decide whether to submit standardized testing or not?
You should put your best foot forward when applying to Northeastern, by showcasing your application in the best or most positive way possible. If you submit standardized testing, you want to submit testing which is competitive for admission to Northeastern.
Consider our middle 50% score ranges, when available. If your scores are within the middle 50% or above, submitting your scores may make your application more favorable, although simply receiving a perfect SAT or ACT score does not in any way guarantee admission. For students who applied and were admitted to Northeastern in Fall 2020, 50% of the admitted students scored between 1470 and 1540 on the SAT, or 33 and 35 on the ACT.

Every college has a different method of withdrawing. Some by portal, some by email.

Yes, I have seen this. My D22 went test optional. She has a 32. Her GC agreed to go TO. But she applied EA.

My son was admitted to Boston campus. I thought it has more to do with whether you are full-pay, not needing the federal aid. My understanding ( certainly could be wrong) is that they are more likely to put you in NU-in if you don’t need aid.

1 Like

When we visited the campus, we got a brochure where it says for Fall 2020, the middle 50% range was 1470-1550 and 34-35, slightly different. Since their yield rate is low, the range for the enrolled would be lower than this.

Trust me, continued interest matters a lot. Whether it is simply emailing your AO about questions you have, introducing yourself, or going further and sending an LOCI, further documents, are other references/resources about you, it all helps. AO’s at many schools, including Northeastern, need every little thing to distinguish those they think will attend Northeastern and make it a better school from those they think wont attend or wont make it better. Admissions is built so that both the student and the university benefit. Since your application is so short and concise, anything extra helps. Plus, AO’s are the ones who actually review your application.

I need advice for Northeastern ED 2.

I am an international student with a 3.4 GPA (COVID year wasn’t the best for me, and some averages weren’t calculated as the second semester term my Sophomore year was just pass/fail, not being weighted into my GPA, even).

Test optional
Many extra-curriculars:
One strong activity being that I started a podcast for my school surrounding both social issues and mental health issues and am planning on doing a TedxYouth talk soon about mental health.

3 APS, 3 IB’s, of which 2 are higher level courses.
There is a progression with my grades each year

Northeastern has also really liked the students they have admitted from my school over the years, so you could also say that there is somewhat of a connection or pattern.

Either applying as undeclared or to their less selective CSSH program.

I want to know if it’s my chances stand at all by applying ED 2 - I know that I am not the strongest candidate - I do have a story to tell, though, and I think NE is the type of school that likes seeing progression more than anything among their candidates.

I am curious to Northeastern playing the deferral game and nudge to ED2 for EA applicants similar to Case Western. In the case of CWRU, the ED2 application deadline was in the future at the time of EA decisions whereas the ED2 application deadline for NU will have already passed when EA decisions are announced.

2 Likes

Great point.

1 Like

Hi!

I think that if you want to go to Northeastern, you’re best chance to be admitted is through ED2. Last year, ED2 had an acceptance rate near 50%, so it would be significantly easier to be admitted to Northeastern if you apply through ED rather than RD. As well, based on my experience with ED2, I think it would be really helpful. You can apply and reach out a lot to your admissions officer, send them questions/ask what else you can submit.

I also believe that your application is pretty solid. If you can give good reasons in your essays, additional information section of application, or documents submitted to your AO, about the reasons behind your grades, APs, etc. they will be pretty understanding.

I would hesitate to apply as undeclared or to CSSH simply because you are worried about selectivity. I applied through CSSH because of my interests. Northeastern wants students who have shown interest in one or more fields and plan on pursuing them in college. If you apply to a program simply because you think it has a higher acceptance rate, you may hurt your application.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

Im confused what you mean. As far as I know, the ED2 application deadline is still January 1st. EA admissions are released usually last wednesday of January, and ED2 decisions released first wednesday of February.

CWRU’s EA decisions came out Dec 21 but their ED2 application deadline is Jan 15. Those who got deferred got a subtle nudge to take advantage of ED2.
NU’s EA decisions come out Feb 1 but their ED2 application deadline is Jan 5. They cannot nudge the deferral towards ED2 hence my curiosity.

Im not necessarily familiar with CWRU’s admissions process, but I will say that Northeastern really wants people to apply through ED. Last year, they broadcasted that they would admit close to 50% of the entering class through ED1 and ED2. I would say that they aren’t nudging people towards ED2 through EA decisions, but instead boldly telling people to apply through ED because your chances will be higher.

3 Likes

YES! Tulane as well did the same. I think these schools really want to make sure you want to commit to them.