Northeastern Early Decision and Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

thank you so much! it really puts things into perspective !!

Will the ED2 acceptance rate really will be so high (approximately as high or even higher than the ED1 rate)?

I have a general question. When a student applies ED, what are the possible admission decisions? Can ED be deferred or are they more likely to get a yes or no?

This suggests you can get deferred. Deadlines & Decisions | Undergraduate Admissions.

1 Like

I saw that. It does not say what the ED possible outcomes are like they specify for EA applicants. This made me curious if ED is either accepted or denied.

I see, it has First Year Application Decisions. I thought that was for EA, but itā€™s for all types of applicants

Out of the 50,000 EA applicants, wonder how many are deferred to RD. Any ideas?

Im not sure exactly how high it will be this year, but last year, it was about 46%

ED can be deferred to regular admission. The possible admissions are: accepted to Boston campus (either honors or not honors), accepted via NUin, accepted via NUBound, deferred to regular decision, or rejected

I believe last year there were around 40k EA applicants where about 6-7k were accepted, 1k were deferred, and the rest rejected.

1 Like

Does legacy status really help? My DD is a legacy.

I donā€™t think so. My son had high stats and I am an alum and he was deferred EA. I was really surprised. But he was admitted RD with a Deanā€™s Scholarship so hang in there if you get a deferral.

4 Likes

How do NUin and NuBound factor into the acceptance rates? If you look at the earlier posting regarding ED1 decisions, it says ED1 applications were up something like 37 percent (2700 total ED1 applications). But itā€™s hard to figure out what the acceptance rate wasā€¦it could be 56% if you include NUin (400) and NUBound (240) in the acceptances; but it falls to 48% if you take those who were accepted to these programs out of both the numerator and denominator. And if you take them just out of the numerator (i.e., treat them as ā€œapplicationsā€ but not as ā€œacceptancesā€), it falls to 33%. So thatā€™s a HUGE range: 33-56%. Similarly, have they filled 880 of their freshman slots? or 1520 of them? Itā€™s so hard to know what to make of these numbersā€¦or how to compare them to prior years.

1 Like

What is your source for this info?

Class of 2025 Early Decision and Early Action Results - College Kickstart I was a little lower than I remembered with the total admitted populace, but the rest is about the same

1 Like

NUin and NUBound are interesting because there are conflicting sources on whether they affect admissions rates. As far as I know, students who are admitted through NUin and NUBound are taken out of both the applied students number and the admitted students number, even though they are Northeastern students. The reason is because, since they donā€™t matriculate their first semester, they are technically considered transfer students, and therefore do not need to be counted in the admissions statistics.

2 Likes

It can, and it depends. Legacy can matter in a few situations: if you and another student are effectively equal and they are choosing who to admit and who to defer, they will choose the legacy student over the non-legacy simply because it is an added bonus. Legacy students are far more likely to enroll than non-legacy, so they want to keep yield up. As well, if you are a legacy student of an alum who had an impact at the school or is a wealthy donor, as well could be someone who is extremely active in the alumni association, then being a legacy can have a big impact on admissions chances. Legacy wont be enough to admit someone who has far lower grades, ECā€™s, or quality essays/letters of rec compared to non-legacy students.

Any inclinations on when the EA results might be released? Iā€™ve been hearing that Jan 26th is a strong contender

Yes, I predicted Jan 26th based on the pattern of release dates the last 3 years.
But no official date announced yet.

3 Likes

The published acceptance rate does not include NU In and NU Bound. I would imagine that the yield from those programs is lower than for regular admits due to the limited financial aid and the desire of many students to be in Boston, not that a semester or year in London, Rome, SF Bay Area etc. is a bad thing for many.

1 Like