Northeastern Early Decision and Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

In my opinion -Standartized testing still a big part of the admisison process in the highly selective colledges. Its the only standartized variable they can use to compare students . GPA values are inconsisitent from school to school , from state to state. Strong SAT /ACT coupled with high GPA gives a better picture to admission committe that the student is approprate and will handle the selective school rigor. Letters of recomendations are all fine and good but its very subjective variable. with so many people applying now to selective colledges - SAT /ACT still a big factor., no metter TO policies.

1 Like

Hmm, my D22 has an uw GPA of 3.9 (at least) and w GPA of 4.8. She did not submit her 32. She took 5 AP classes total and at least 7 Honors courses. She has depth in German, history classes, and her music (Ensembles and Marching). Sheā€™s an excellent student and a fantastic kid. Strong writer and speaker. And Iā€™m thinking sheā€™s 1 of thousands just like her! I think sheā€™ll be lucky to be offered any option. Not sure what NEU does with no test score. Do I trust the test optional process? Iā€™m probably cynical of it. Iā€™m thankful sheā€™s pretty neutral about all of her schools and will not be devastated if 1 doesnā€™t work out. Iā€™m more curious and the suspense is distracting me, not her!

2 Likes

I agree , suspense is distracting. Good luck to your daugher!

2 Likes

Thanksā€“so they those applications (i.e., those admitted to NU In and NU Bound) are removed from the # admitted and the # applied, correct?

1 Like

Not sure if they can be removed from # applied, because they did apply. So that would really help NEU for selectivity rating if my thinking is correct.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that the elephant in the room with testing? Is it truly objective? Iā€™d argue it is not. Families who are in a financial position to do so use test prep. The SAT and ACT are teachable and beatable. And those that know how to do itā€¦do it. My analogy to it (here on this site) has been to the tax code. Those who understand the tax code, use it to their advantage. Likely the same cohort who wrote the tax code :wink: The testing system continues to be propped up for those who know how to use it.

1 Like

A 32 is very good, 97th percentile. I would have submitted it but hopefully she is admitted without it. Agree that the waiting is hard.

1 Like

I would disagree. SAT/ACT scores are losing weight as people recognize that the tests are not a strong indicator of potential success at a school, but instead are an indicator of wealth. Multiple studies show that high SAT/ACT scores correlate with wealthier communities and wealthier individuals who can pay hundreds, and often, thousands of dollars for tutoring. I would argue that the SAT/ACT are not great standardized variables. GPAā€™s are recalculated at almost every school by admissions officers so they can still be standardized, as well, colleges look at high school course catalogs to see how strong of a course rigor a student could have done.

I believe that over the next few years, schools will continue to move away from standardized testing and instead toward extracurriculars, in which students are not affected as much by wealth in the ability to excel.

1 Like

I think that the majority of her application is pretty strong. Being test optional is much less concerning than you think. Most students applied without SAT/ACT scores last year. Only about 28% submitted them last year. Of course, of those who submitted scores, about 75% were accepted, but the majority who submitted scores received over a 1400/31.

1 Like

Mmmm, I would venture to say the entire application process favors those who are better off financiallyā€¦even the EC are tainted by that. Yes, money can buy ECs as well. I have all kinds first hand stories about that. Ok, if the SAT and ACT are so biased, how do you explain the fact that not all wealthy students score in the 99 %?! I agree it definitely could be studied and improved with numerous retakes but to be fair, it does help in completing the picture of the applicants.

6 Likes

I agree that the entire application process favors wealthy students, of course it does. Everything in the world favors wealthy students. Yet, standardized testing is far more heavily skewed based on wealth than any other aspect of a college application.

And to the point that not all wealthy students score in the 99%, there are plenty of wealthy students who donā€™t try as hard on tests, nor are bright enough to do well on the tests.

1 Like

The biggest correlation is wealthier communities = wealthier schools with more resources = better outcomes and yes it may show up in testingā€¦

Not to get engaged in a lengthy battle, but removing standardized testing is evil as it removes the only level playing field for comparison from the less well off. A top notch urban student from a disadvantaged background will not have the ECs which cost a ton of money, or the AP and honors classes. However, the same student would be able to self study and kick butt on an ACT and SAT anydayā€¦Test optional or test blind = admissions offices can admit more or less who they like under the umbrella of ā€œholisticā€. Probably not fair to most schools, but really opens the door for manipulating the incoming class with less blowback for the schoolā€™s rankings etc.

6 Likes

According to the common data set, 42% of enrolled students submitted scores (1875 students) and these 1875 students were 42% of all enrolled students (4504).

And Iā€™d assume that the scores that those 42% submitted were very high, which skews the middle 50% much higher, imo. The other 58% either didnā€™t have scores, had low scores, or scores that arenā€™t high for NEU (my daughter).

1 Like

I think the plan will be to submit the 32 if she is deferred to RD. Iā€™ll have her run that by her GC. At that point, there is nothing to lose and revealing a solid 32 could be a good thing. However, a 32 is clearly not in the middle 50%. GC said do not submit it.

We also did not submit D22ā€™s 32 ACT. GC said not to, especially if GPA is ā€œstronger.ā€ Also, when we toured NU a year ago, one of the AOs said to only submit a 34 or 35. Itā€™s so hard to know what to do!

1 Like

For what it is worth, my daughter last year had a 3.9/4.34 and 1360 SAT. We did not submit her score and she was waitlisted (but later in the summer invited to the NU Bound at Mills college, which she declined). This year I have another daughter and her GPA is 3.8/4.2 with an SAT of 1470 and we did submit. I do not expect her to get in, as she is at a competitive Bay Area public school and is competing against high achieving classmates. I believe many universities bunch applications by high schools so that they can compare apples with apples. It could be that your GC knows of other students applying with higher scores?? Personally I think a 32 is great!

2 Likes

That is right. The presenters in the NE info session told the attendees to check with them with the scores and then submit based on the suggestion.

UMass Amherst told openly in the info session to submit ACT scores only if they scored atleast 27.

1 Like

I still feel good about the decision not to submit the 32. Crazy that the AOs blatantly say do not submit if under a 34!

1 Like