Northeastern Honors College vs Georgia Tech for CS

Hi I was accepted to Northeastern’s Honors College as well as Georgia Tech, both for Computer Science. I just wanted some insight to choosing what school to spend my next 4 years or so at.

Just for context I’m not the most hardcore programmer but definitely have experience in CS, hence which is why I’m majoring. I’m also fortunate and grateful that I do not have to worry about costs/tuition. A lot of people are telling me that Georgia Tech for CS is a no-brainer, and I am well aware that they are super reputable and prestigious. But I am concerned about stress-culture and heard that Northeastern also provides an excellent CS program, along with their Co-op. I’m also attracted to Boston’s location and believe there could be many opportunities there as well. Additionally I did hear that NEU’s honors college provides some perks such as merit scholarship, smaller classes, nice dorms, etc. But I feel like I’d be making a grave mistake turning down GT’s CS program (an extremely reputable school with a lot of networking opportunities). Just hoping for some additional thoughts and what you would do in the situation.

Im from atlanta and boston. Are you familiar with the South? Gotta be mentally prepared for it. Also, are you Asian? Don’t be alarmed, i am. I’m asking cuz Atlanta has a huge Asian population and it’s awesome. Some of the best food anywhere, especially Korean. Probably Seoul, LA, then Atlanta. Also, Atlanta is mecha for E-sports. I know what you’re thinking. What, this guy thinks I’m some asian gaming nerd in love with Korean food? Well I am. and Atlanta and Gatech is awesome for it.

Personally, if I had to do college over again, I’d go to place where I’d have most fun. Academics all similar. Univ Hawaii would be my spot. Shoot, if you’re really motivated, don’t go college! Just learn programming from youtube, take a business loan out and start your own company. That what my boss did. but she is a genius.
Its the internships you get that make the difference. So be a go getter, wherever you are, and sell urself. Both schools are great. NE for hockey. Gtech for ACC football/bball. Have fun!

hmmmm - Ga Tech

But I agree, you’ll be successful at either.

Good luck.

computer science open rankings (brown.edu)

I’m actually Korean! Sounds like Atlanta def seems fitting for me. And yeah I definitely want to have fun but at the same time work hard to end up with a nice Software Engineering job. Just heard sooo much abt stress culture at GaTech but def sounds manageable. Anyhow, ty for the reply!

Georgia Tech has the better CS program but Northeastern is good too. According to College Scorecard, GT median salary is slightly higher, not enough to make it a clear leader.

I don’t know the gender ratio for CS at Northeastern but at Tech it’s 3 men to 1 woman. Northeastern has about even overall gender ration while Tech is 60% men.

Atlanta and Boston are two of my favorite cities and you can’t go wrong in either. But consider the weather. How do you like snow and cold? What about hot & humid (July & August are absolutely horrible in Atlanta.)

bruh it doesn’t matter what college you go to. No software engineering job is going to deny you just because you didn’t go to one program or the other especially when most of them don’t even require a CS degree, let alone a degree at all. Just go to the one where you think you’ll learn well and have fun

Ga tech! Students seem to really like it there and it’s known for CS. Ga tech is also a top public school. Northeastern - not sure what they are really known for.

2 Likes