Northeastern University 2021 EA

Northwestern?

@TomSrOfBoston how do we submit the loci? do we upload it to our portal, or email it to the office, etc?

Understood.

If you applied for financial aid ED they have the documentation. If you didnā€™t apply for financial aid you are saying that you can afford to be full pay. Their NPC (not the FAFSA EFC) will give you an amount. If you cannot afford that do not apply ED. If the aid they offer you means you would be paying more than the NPC and they cannot offer more, that is a legitimate reason to be released from the ED agreement.

1 Like

You may want to do both.

1 Like

okay thank you!

@TomSrOfBoston I may have missed this but do you work for the school? A lot of people are relying on your information.

I think that what @jxmst2 is implying is that they did not apply ED because of the financial risk HOWEVER it still may be first or top choice and the school can not assume you donā€™t have actual interest in the school. Demonstrated interest is exceptionally subjective and its definitely NOT the only reason people were deferred but itā€™s being thrown around a lot as a potential reason. I agree with lemonlulu that ED is the best demonstrated interestā€¦ but itā€™s not the ONLY way.

1 Like

that was a typoā€¦i did not apply to NW

1 Like

No, I do not work for Northeastern. I am an alumnus as is @PengsPhils

Applying ED is the ultimate way to show interest but you are correct that it is not the only way by any means. Demonstrated interest is of particular importance for applicants with tip top stats. They are not assuming that Northeastern is your first choice rather they are looking for applicants who would be a good fit and comfortable at the university if their top choice doesnā€™t come through.

Northeastern had a ā€œScholarsā€ program that provided a full tuition merit scholarship and many other perks. It was discontinued for several reasons. One of which was that each year they would lose several students who would transfer up, mostly to Cornell. They were taking advantage of Cornellā€™s guaranteed sophomore transfer admissions decision. So they got a free freshman year at Northeastern and then left. That was not the type of student they wanted.

1 Like

I personally donā€™t like to gauge demonstrated interest for admission.

1. when overused and abused there is no meaning
  2. not fair, people live far away and less wealthy canā€™t have campus visit
  3. virtual sessions have loopholes. Is the person really there? Is camera off or speaker muted? Or the person attends is the applicant?
  4. all ther info gathering tool are optional and helpful for your understanding of the school and program. Help you to present a good application. Not for gaining point by checking boxes.
    At the end of date, if you believe in the demonstrated game, donā€™t complain or question what is not enough from demonstrated interest. Think about your essay, EC, rigor and cohesiveness of your classes.
    One school deferred or rejected, focus on other schools.
1 Like

accepted to honors program college of engineering $24k honors scholarship
gpa: 3.91 uw
sat: 1560 (not superscored)
state: NJ
classes: mostly honors fr, so and jr year, AP microecon, macroecon and lang jr year, now lit, ab calc, spanish, chem and physics C as a sr
activities: 4 yrs of XC (3 varsity), 4 years of winter and spring track (2 varsity), 2 years of physics league, babysitting and giving art lessons
other info: female, white, did not show a ton of demonstrated interest

Yes! Not National Merit though, it was the National Rural and small town recognition program through collegboard

1 Like

May I ask how much they gave you?

Does anyone know what the stats were for EA?

Yes, thank you. I had not heard it called by itā€™s more generic name. Congrats!

Interesting to hear of that factor regarding the Cornell program. My D was in the first scholars program and it was amazing when it startedā€¦ too bad it got abused.

1 Like

Hi, I was selected for a Deanā€™s scholarship and I saw on Northeasternā€™s website that the top 10-15% of applicants receive this.

Does anyone know how selective it is?

https://www.northeastern.edu/admissions/cost/scholarships/

I got it as well. Not sure how selective it is.

Since only the top 10-15% of applicants receive it I would say it is fairly selective. The amount of the Deanā€™s scholarship varies perhaps by your stats.