Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

As a student, emails are “so 2005”, but, they are the norm for serious professional communication everywhere. There’s nothing wrong with using both, but I don’t want to rely solely on Instagram/Tiktok’s algorithm to decide whether college updates are worthy to receive my attention.

8 Likes

Yes, my S21 was accepted to NU.in and got 10k In merit. The first year it could be used all in the second semester and after that 5k a semester. He ended up choosing another school, but the merit aid was explained pretty clearly.

3 Likes

If I didn’t send NEU my CSS profile until 3 days ago (I didn’t know I had to until that financial aid thing popped up) but I did submit my FAFSA, will I still get my financial aid package with my decision if I am accepted tomorrow?

1 Like

Probably not. My son applied ED and about two weeks before decisions came out, they asked for additional documents. He got his acceptance without financial aid. That came about 10 days later.

1 Like

Students also get an official email when their decision is on their portal telling them to check. IG/TT are used to give students a heads up. For many, they’ll likely just check their portals when they see this. They often hear to look before their official email comes out.
Remember, that the folks on CC represent a small subset of students/families applying (out of 100,000 this year) and many may be totally unaware of all the recent issues with the email glitch if they didn’t receive the error message to begin with.

6 Likes

Is this cost per semester or year? Also it seems to be based on the location wonder what’s the breakdown by location

They must have changed the policy since then, because my daughter just came back from NUin Dublin and she definitely used a semester’s worth of her yearly merit award for those expenses.

Just to confirm, no decisions were sent out today? I haven’t heard anyone mention one but maybe I skipped over something

3 Likes

correct

2 Likes

If she got merit, they didn’t apply it all second semester?

1 Like

No. She got $18K in an annual merit award, and they applied $9K toward her NUin Dublin bill and $9K toward her current spring semester in Boston.

2 Likes

Oh that’s better.

1 Like

Global scholars is new for 23-24 and seems to be NUBound renamed. I would suspect similar costs (plus 3-4%) for GS.
NUBound this year: “ The estimated cost for all NU Bound Program locations for 2022 is $75,500 (USD). This cost includes $28,000 for tuition and a $9,750 program fee per semester for a total of $75,500 across the fall and spring terms. Please note that this program fee is an estimate that is subject to Board of Trustee approval. This fee is for your 2022-2023 academic year with the NU Bound Program. In Fall 2023, you will pay Northeastern tuition, which will be posted on the Student Financial Services website.”

I would expect NUIN to be close to $40k for the semester next year, a similar increase from this current year.

As mentioned above, NU does offer some student merit aid which can be used, as well as NU institutional need based aid. However, no federal aid, grants or loans can be used for either NUIN or GS bc you are not officially matriculated until you are enrolled at Boston either in spring or the following fall.

I’ll add too that 17yo frosh will start in Oakland bc the UK does not all minors to start school in the fall.

3 Likes

You may see merit aid, but additional FA would likely come later. If accepted, you can call FA after the decisions to double check. Good luck! (Merit aid comes from admissions, FA comes from the FA office but will take merit aid into consideration.)

3 Likes

This is certainly the case with most students and becomes a problem when they get to college. My colleagues and I all communicate important information to students through email. I can’t tell you how many times students tell me they didn’t respond to my email because they only check it “once or twice a week.” I explain that this is not high school and I don’t remind them each class to check their email for important announcements from myself or the administrators.

I understand admissions offices use social media, but it should be in conjunction with email for important information like this.

10 Likes

So far I didn’t see any rejection yet? Can we assume rejection will come the last then? :sob:

Come out on 1/30-2/1?

Has anyone gotten accepted to the Boston Campus yet (not NUin)?

Not sure if there were any confirmed Boston acceptances yesterday. There were a few mentions, but it’s possible there may have been a misunderstanding. The first mention of a Boston acceptance was second hand, and later on, at least one person in the thread referred to a NUin acceptance as a Boston acceptance because it means going to Boston in the spring.

2 Likes

On another site, a parent whose child was accepted to global scholars ED, attended a workshop on the program. They were told that NU is targeting 750 total GS students next year. (375 starting at each site)

If parents attend any NUIN workshops, please ask how many NUIN students they are targeting. That is the best way to get those target enrollment numbers.

2 Likes