Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Have they ever released decisions as late as the 14th?

1 Like

Ok Iā€™ll stop hitting refresh now itā€™s been over an hour. When we do finally hear from NEU and people start posting acceptances, please include the stats (gpa, Sat/Act, etc). Itā€™s not helpful to see someone got in without more info.

7 Likes

ok i just thought ed was specifically always Wednesday. hope it comes out tomorrow tho this really really sucks

1 Like

Yeah they released the 14th in 2017

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

No. latest i have seen is the 11th. But the calendar this year is weird. It is not the same as previous years. Only problem is if they dont release them tomorrow night it wont be till next week because they do will not send them back on the weekend most likely.

Oh yep I was wrong about that thank you

Not to give false hope but these have been the dates for the last six years
Thursday December 10th, 2015/2016.
Thursday December 8th, 2016/2017.
Thursday December 7th, 2017/2018.
Wednesday December 5th, 2018/2019.
Wednesday December 11th, 2019/2020.
Wednesday December 9th, 2020/2021.
Should be tomorrow.

10 Likes

Iā€™m in awe of all of you who do this wonderful analysis to help the rest of us anxious parents. Thank you! Good luck to all ED folks!

6 Likes

I wish they would tell us! All this time waiting I have been obsessingšŸ˜­

4 Likes

NEU provides incredible co-op opportunities for every major, not just computer science and business. Great research, medical, political science, architecture, design, math, art and music industry etc. That is what makes NU stand out in this area and why it is always ranked #1 in national polls for this. Every student is encouraged and supported to do at least one if not 2 or 3 coops, plus other experiential learning classes, travel and research ā€” not just the highest achievers or the most outgoing students.

6 Likes

I am an alum and Husky parent. I think NU offers remarkable hands-on learning and study abroad experiences. My co-ops included working for a federal appellate judge, the Department of Justice in D. C. and the Alaska Dept. Of Law. My sonā€™s abroad experience in Africa included meeting and presenting to government ministers and UN officials and learning to speak Kinyarwanda and his co-ops have helped him figure out his future career interests. I know a May summa cum laude graduate from a prestigious liberal arts college who has not found a job. NUā€™s experiences help build impressive resumes and many co-ops lead to job offers.

I think that thereā€™s no college that is the right fit for everyone, but NUā€™s experiences that prepare students for their post-college careers and lives are incredibly valuable.

8 Likes

NEU is a good school but I have a poor view of them relative to their peers only because of the admission games they play. If they didnā€™t, I think fewer people would view them poorly or negatively.
They have a lot going in their favor. They should just play it straight - and they would win even more fans.

1 Like

Do you mind sharing more on the games you are referring to please

Donā€™t want to detract from the main thread here so Iā€™ll keep it brief. Feel free to PM me.

My daughter applied EA, was deferred, then got an email from admissions the next day telling her to switch to ED2 which she didnā€™t want to do. Then the regional AO called her schoolā€™s GC the following week telling her that if (the 4 deferred kids) were willing to commit theyā€™d be admitted. GC passed along the message - my D was pretty put off by then and withdrew her app.

Thatā€™s why I call this behavior ā€œgamesā€. If you want to admit, admit. If you want to defer to RD and reconsider, do that. If you only want kids who commit in the early round, donā€™t offer EA. Etc.

Another friend had a different story about his daughter being coaxed to start in California.

4 Likes

Oh not this again. They didnā€™t ā€œgameā€ the system. They played the game. Want 4-year graduation rates? Ok, make it fewer co- ops then. Want to move up in the rankings? Lower your class sizes. None of this is nefarious and I am so tired of that narrative

4 Likes

Umm :thinking: I didnā€™t say any of that.

Looks like true. Our school counsellor did mention that most EAs are deferred to RDs. So letā€™s see. Thanks

No you just said ā€œadmission games.ā€ There was a much repeated article from a few years ago about ā€œgamingā€ the system and there has been lot of CC chatter about it.

My S was deferred EA and admitted RD. No games. Your mileage may vary. Last year was brutal for NU admissions from our high school due to their need to reduce the class size. We had exceptional students who would have been admitted in other years who were denied.

3 Likes

Iā€™m aware of that article and that there are strong opinions on both sides. But you canā€™t pin that on me. I was only speaking of our personal experience with NEU. If you donā€™t think what I described is questionable practice thatā€™s fine. I am not going to debate.

8 Likes