Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

i hope they’re lying for the sake of my sanity

4 Likes

this. :')

Also Navianve data is from the last 5 years and we all know how thats not a true representation of this yrs numbers. One more note… our Naviance doesnt use super score so its hard to determine score trends as they vary significantly and lots of schools use super score now. so there’s that as metioned above it’s a tool but misses the mark.

1 Like

Really hope this doesn’t mean ED2 is March 1 :confused:

1 Like

UMass Amherst has been elusive (to say the least) about their process . . . they’re notifying EA applicants in waves, but they haven’t disclosed how many waves there are, when they’ll be, how many per wave, what majors are included in each wave, etc. In the meantime, they’re disseminating information about signing up for their admitted student events – lots of frustrated students and parents.

5 Likes

FWIW…

My older kids currently smaller colleges (4000-8000 undergrads). They were both told exactly when decisions would release, 5 days in advance. One requires their AOs write hand-written “welcome” notes to accepted students that specifically reference something personal about the applicant, usually something from their essay. We also received a hand written (“thanks mom and dad”) note on school stationery from our child right after orientation - prompted by the school, of course! They’ve also had great access to university health services, housing services, etc.

In our experience, for better or worse, most small-mid schools are “high touch” … larger schools, not so much. Some parents/students prefer one over the other. Both are fine, but like all things in college admissions, it’s generally good to think about how important these are to you in advance.

Plus Naviance doesn’t include kids who never tested (SAT or ACT) and doesn’t indicate of those who had test scores, which submitted them and which did not. Which can also complicate the data.

2 Likes

Maybe…maybe not.

Yes my son is waiting too :worried:

1 Like

Didn’t we see some NU London campus (all 4 years) in ED round? Or maybe I am mistaken?

This is from the NEU admissions page:

First-Year Applicant Decision Types

For first-year applicants, once you submit your application, you will receive one of the following admissions decisions:

• Admission to Northeastern University Boston
  • Admission to Northeastern University London
  • Admission to Northeastern University Oakland
  • Admission to The N.U.in Program
  • Admission to The Global Scholars Program
  • Admission to NU Immerse
  • Waitlist
  • Deny
  • Defer
2 Likes

That’s how we used Naviance- it’s how we crossed off UVA, out of 6 years of data only two years was anyone accepted at all. And those 2 years only one was accepted. D23 was similar stats to the accepted, but also to the rejected. They were pretty much identical so who knows what pushed those two students over the top.

3 Likes

This was smart. My son applied to UNC but later we saw that over the last years nobody was accepted from his HS. THere goes the application fee.

1 Like

My son is a college senior so I have some experience and I have an 11th grader I’m gearing up for so reading this site is helpful. I find that point interesting about the limited or no acceptances from a school. I believe the high school counselor (department director) should be developing relationships with the schools and they are a good source to speak with about those that don’t admit.

1 Like

I was trying to find this page. Yes, I think there is a decision that requires you to live in London all 4 years. Thank you! Most schools are a yes or no but Northeastern is more complicated for sure!

I guess I’m confused on how the school you attend comes into play. How does this work for an admission screener? Do they give bonus points if you attended certain schools? If a stellar candidate with a perfect SAT score goes to a poor, inner city school where NU took zero kids from in the past, will they really not have a chance?

I also get confused on acceptances at some of the top tier schools. We know several students who were differed at Case Western with over 1500 SAT scores. My son has a 1450 and was accepted EA and received a $43,500 scholarship plus generous grant. In last year’s Northeastern thread several top-stats students were deferred for EA while students with 1400-1460 were accepted. Either the scores mean less and less each year (and your hook and essay are most important) or we have to factor in yield protection. Many of those high stats kids might get in eventually but they have to really “prove” their interest whereas maybe admissions feels a lower stat kid would consider NU a top choice and take the risk of admitting them EA? I have no solid data on this but lots of anecdotal evidence. I’m not saying my son will get into Northeastern, but I almost feel like he has a better shot at EA admission than a kid with a 1560 SAT for those reasons.

We also have to consider that each school is looking to mold a certain class based on need and what kind of representation is missing. Some music schools might admit more drummers than bassoon players if that is the need that year. Some may feel they need to increase diversity and seek more African American or Hispanic candidates or more men than women. My son must be of value to Case Western, but Fordham gave him only $10K merit so whatever he has must not be what they are looking for, at least not enough to show him the $$$.

2 Likes

I would say yes. I think the school matters. Maybe three years ago, like 3 students from my school got accepted to Northeastern, despite only having a graduating class of about 70 people (they didn’t have like any amazing stats or like crazy impressive ECs). We aren’t a feeder school or anything, just an average international school in Europe with the IB program. I know that ALL students who got into Northeastern the year before were on the Dean’s List after their freshman year. I think they look at specific schools that produce students that Northeastern knows will benefit the school in the future. But then again, Northeastern has suddenly become really competitive in recent years so I guess its more of a coin toss now.

3 Likes

Unhooked male, 3.98/4.5, 1560, NMSF, CS major, 6 hr drive for campus visit, DEFERRED from Case. Drove 8+ hr for visit to NEU. Hopefully not same (or worse) result. Likely not “spectacular” enough for Ivy, MIT, etc.

3 Likes

It makes zero sense! They should be begging for you to attend their college!

2 Likes

It’s a weird nuance, right? The student’s school comes into play SELECTIVELY, but the anecdotal evidence that I’m seeing (and hearing from the half-dozen or so admissions presentations that we’ve attended) while most schools are “test optional” this year, if they happen to find a student with a perfect SAT/ACT score from a poor, inner city school, that kid (barring broader application red flags) is not going to have a problem getting into T30 schools at all.

5 Likes

Here is the sad reality… These are above average stats but they are not “stellar”. There are many above average candidates. So they defer you. You are competing not just w other applicants in the US and abroad but with other applicants from your school and socio-economic level. My student has similar “above average” stats and I am worried he will struggle to get in.

1 Like