Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

I’m assuming they’re releasing Feb 1st?

1 Like

It depend how the school sets it. Our school currently has Naviance set for only past three years, so only post Covid years.

anyone get anything?

2 Likes

this is so painful

1 Like

I would much rather they take until 2/1 and make some more actual decisions than defer practically everyone to RD like they did last year.

6 Likes

Agreed. Just rip the band-aid off so kids can start planning for the school they are most likely actually going to attend. So many schools have hard or soft requirements to enroll and get in line for housing and waiting until April for a decision puts those kids in a really bad spot. Not looking forward to the stress of my son wanting to hold out on deferral decisions, missing the chance to get setup for a school that accepted him, only to get denied anyway, or perhaps worse waitlisted and have to even wait longer.

7 Likes

And the year before.

2 Likes

im so done

5 Likes

Admissions officers have regions and they get to know the HS in their region. They know what certain schools offer in terms of curriculum, the demographics, etc. They can tell then what trends of how certain groups of students might fare at NEU. History of a school can also tell whether kids use NEU as a safety school (get in but none ever attend) etc. They have so much data on everyone and they know their patterns. Then they also look at what demographics they are trying to shift to at NEU as well, more URM, more women/men, certain interests and majors, etc. That is why you can never guess the outcomes. Just put your best foot forward…

10 Likes

Very much agreed. I feel like the whole process has been pushed too late into the year already. Kids should be able to start weighing their options by February, not still waiting to hear from “early” schools, let alone RD answers not coming until late March or even April. How are kids supposed to plan accepted student visits, etc. when travel arrangements have to be made, schedules accounted for, to make a real decision by 5/1? All the segmentation (ED, EA, ED2, EA2, RD, etc.) seems to have introduced more uncertainty rather than less. I think NU could be an ideal option for my D23, but I’m (perhaps irrationally) annoyed at the delay in expected results.

12 Likes

Next week I guess :sob::sob:

Edit: I feel like they’re for sure not coming out today prob next week this TikTok is like a slap in the face

6 Likes

College admissions are so dragged out they have become like presidential elections. As soon as the election is over, media coverage starts on the next one. Same here. As soon as the ink on the college apps dries, time to start the grad school app process. Ridiculous but forced to go along with the program. But good for the bloated admissions offices at colleges.

3 Likes

“Like presidential elections” is genius. So can I become a rejection-denier? Just get a bunch of people to say I really got in? LOL

11 Likes

any chance it would come out tomorrow?

At least with college admissions, we don’t have to wait 4 years for a rematch.

2 Likes

Sure, there is a chance. And speculation it will. Also unconfirmed reports it will not be until the end of the month.

1 Like

I don’t think that is entirely true. It tells you scores where students rarely get accepted and scores where students usually get accepted. Of course, there are outliers.

My beef with our school’s use of Naviance is that you cannot limit the scatter gram by a year range. So, the data points could be 5, 10, 20 years old…rendering them completely useless for the current admissions cycle.

2 Likes

This is especially true with Northeastern which has had a meteoric rise in college rankings and admission standards over the last 10 years. Might not be as true though for other schools where rankings, and admission standards, have remained static or have fallen.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, everything is clear as mud.

High school can cut both ways. Top “feeder” schools…the rigor and enrolled student performance are known quantities. So, top colleges might accept a larger number of kids from these schools. #20 rank at a top magnet or private high school is different from your average public school (no shade…I went to a slightly below average public school).

At the same time, a real academic superstar with lots of ambition may stand out more at the average public school. At a top HS, you are published or an international research fair finalist? So are 20-25%+ of your classmates. At an average school? No one has ever done this before! Everyone is impressed!

A poor, inner city school? Even more impressive! And the college gets to show off how inclusive they are for finding and accepting you!

Case Western, Northeastern, and some others are interesting cases. They have ED and EA, which I always see a sign that a lot of extremely qualified EA kids will be deferred. The assumption is that these kids have their eyes on Ivy+ schools or full-tuition or full ride at less selective schools. Either they will be accepted to their top choices and withdraw, or they will be deferred or rejected and then possibly switch to ED2 or go along with multiple “letters or continued interest” (LOCI). Essentially, if the applicants are serious about the college, the college still gets them. If they are accepted somewhere they prefer, the college protects its “yield” (percentage of accepted students who enroll).

But some will be accepted EA. Maybe they fulfill an institutional need or they were super clear about the college being their choice.

And yes, each selective college is building a class. You can’t have too many violins, someone has to play bassoon. And you can’t have too many football players, you need to fill out the water polo roster.

7 Likes

The dreaded LOCI! Please don’t let it come to that! :grimacing: :joy:

1 Like