Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Yes, they started the accelerate classes def last year but I think in 2021 as well. The early financial review started last year i believe. It’s a nice practice/perk so folks are more confident choosing NU for ED if they do think it’s their first choice. The last two years they accepted 50% or so of their frosh class through ED. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

It’s so important that colleges are transparent with this process and NU definitely gets bonus points for that. We are completing the FAFSA on October 1st and hoping they might get the info before the preview day my son was invited to on October 8th. I was thinking of bringing our tax forms and/or asking the financial aid reps (if available on this day) if they could double check my NPC. My husband is self-employed so there are few things I might be doing wrong. If not, I can set up a zoom meeting perhaps. They might only do these personalized meetings for those doing ED, which I understand.

1 Like

Worth asking. My understanding is that the NPC is less accurate for those that are self employed or are divorced, so good to ask ahead if you can.
How would they know whether you are actually planning to go ED or not? I’d just submit it as if you were perhaps? There is nothing that requires one to then actually apply ED is there?

1 Like

That’s true. They provide the service to encourage people to do ED and I suppose if the numbers were much better than we hoped, we could consider ED (but not likely just because my son wants to compare offers and possibly appeal for more $ in the final month.)

1 Like

Just know that NU does not have a reputation for negotiating aid packages later in the process, but I know other colleges might.

How can I reach the moderator of this discussion?

Yes, I know NU won’t consider appeals letters: their initial offer won’t change (they really don’t need to when they have a waitlist of students willing to pay full price.) But there are schools on my son’s list that sometimes offer more $ later in the process and/or will consider appeal letters, so that gives us some extra comfort. My daughter was offered and extra $4K (unsolicited) from Columbia College Chicago about a month before decision time and wrote an appeal letter to Loyola New Orleans(her top choice school) in the final month and they gave her an extra $3K per year, so you never know for some of the lesser-known colleges.

2 Likes

Just go to the first post in this thread, click on the name of person who started the discussion and select the option to private message them:

CC_Sorin
Community Manager

Does Northeastern have a traditional day that they release EA/ED decisions?

Thanks!!

Yes. All EA, ED and RD decisions come out at once. A different day for each decision category. Although those days change from year to year and Northeastern does not announce those dates in advance.

My son is doing EA and the website says “decision by February 1st” but I think it came out around January 28th last year.
ED 1 says notification by January 1st
ED 2 by March 1st
RD by April 1st

Yes, decisions usually come out a few days to a week before the published "“by” date.

1 Like

On the CommonAPP, there is a section to upload your resume.

If you wish to submit your résumé, you may upload it here.

It is optional but I think this is new for this year. Does submitting a Resume carry any weightage? My daughter has entered all the important activities on the Common App activity list and we feel like creating a resume is redundant, except that we have more space to describe few of her activities in detail.

1 Like

Our college counselor said that colleges want to reduce the minutes they spend examining each application. When we asked about the resume, she said don’t submit if the info can be found elsewhere on the application.

4 Likes

My daughter just submitted her Northeastern application on common app. Northeastern is requesting self reported SAT scores on their portal. There seems to only be an option to submit scores from one test date and then hit submit. She’s not sure if the next screen will give her the option to submit her second test date and is afraid to submit! Would someone please let us know if you can in fact submit a second score? Thank you!

1 Like

My son had same issue. We were only able to submit one score when self reporting. We then went to college board and formally sent both scores to super score. Not sure if that will make a difference.

2 Likes

This sounds confusing. From your description it sounds like Northeastern doesn’t take the self-reported test scores from Common App? But they have students go to their website portal to submit scores? Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

My son still isn’t sure if he should submit his score (750 Math, 700 Reading so 1450 total) but is leaning towards submitting. Luckily, he only took it twice and went down a little (on both sections) on his second try so we only need to submit one test date. Do you know if they need the official SAT scores sent by the application deadline (based on whether you apply EA, ED, etc.) or is self-reporting fine and you only need to send official scores if accepted?

My daughter submitted her official scores through ACT prior to submitting her Common App so her portal isn’t requesting her scores.

1 Like

Just got back from our weekend in Boston. My son went to the Northeastern Preview Day on Saturday and it jumped up even more on his list. He really loves the vibe of the school and city and is impressed with the opportunities and unique offerings. I wasn’t sure a co-op school made sense for a Psychology major but we spoke to some students who told us about their experiences which seemed rich and meaningful. They did admit that the pay was low for Psych co-ops, but my son would consider coming back home to do his co-ops in Buffalo to save $ on housing (which is definitely an option.) He learned more about the NUin program and is starting to think it might be a great way to start off college, especially if he could do a Spain campus (he plans to do a Spanish minor.) My husband and I think NU would be a great fit for my son and we are actually starting to entertain the idea of ED, although most likely ED 2. The Northeastern Promise (they vow to keep the price the same for all 4 years, it can only go down, not up) is a huge plus, assuming the price tag is within our budget. I think we are going to take advantage of their “early financial read” so they can give us an estimate of cost. I don’t trust the NPC only because my husband is self-employed so it can be a little confusing. I completed the FAFSA and CSS profile so all I need to do is fill out a request form if we are considering ED. This must be done by 10/21. I just hope it isn’t a strike against my son if we end up doing EA. The number estimate will truly sway us, one way or the other (which is why they offer this service I suppose, so all ED candidates are 100% sure.) If the numbers don’t work out, he will do EA and if he is waitlisted, we can always consider ED 2 (we would have several other offers to compare by that point.) Is anyone else taking advantage of the “early financial read” service?

7 Likes