Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

My D22 was also high stats and needed merit when she was deferred. Please share with your friend that all is not lost and plenty get accepted with merit in RD. All of my D’s 3 roommates were also deferred and got merit!

4 Likes

kind of what I was thinking…

1 Like

Has anyone from Colorado or on the west coast received on of these emails?

1 Like

But you also have to account for the people who saw the email and then came to this forum to check. I don’t frequent this website but saw the email and this was one of the first places I thought to look In fact I haven’t been on here in over a year.

it might though, because college confidential has more high achieving students and their parents

not that i know of

1 Like

Yes (California here). Not reading anything into it. They have had so many email and portal glitches!

We’re in CA and my daughter got the email.

We also aren’t reading anything into it due to the previous glitches.

2 Likes

Yes, DS California received it. But judging from comments on the thread, will lay low on what it all means.

1 Like

They also accidentally sent a bunch of requests for English proficiency documentation to applicants that isn’t supposed to apply to, in December.

3 Likes

Called NEU helpdesk and without even talking to an agent , the automated message talks about the glitch of email and not having portal updated. They wanted to create case automatically for you if you need. It means they Sent mails by mistake (wether they used sample fils or prod file- no one knows)

6 Likes

so did they indicate whether it was sent to all admitted students or just some or a random sample of applicants?

2 Likes

I recieved the email this morning as well. I didn’t think much of it at first, but the last line says, “Welcome to Northeastern!” which I think is a good sign! Trying to not get my hopes up though and not overthinking it.

1 Like

My son did not get an email, and I have to infer those that did are in, and those that did not are deferred/rejected . . . at least we have to assume that is the case until Northeastern takes some corrective action.

From a PR perspective, what a catastrophe on Northeastern’s part after their earlier fiasco with the law school. An email glitch once is somewhat forgivable (although I’m sure those students effected would say otherwise), to have it happen twice?? It’s a poor reflection on their university, that’s for certain.

6 Likes

Well, this is a mess.

Northeastern is not alone in creating a mess like this. A quick google of 'erroneous college acceptance emails sent" brings up at least a dozen schools that have done this. Here is one about Carnegie Mellon sending out erroneous acceptance letters to its top ranked computer science program:
Carnegie Mellon email error trips up top computer school - BBC News

The fact that Northeastern is not alone in making a mistake like this is not an excuse though.

2 Likes

I just wish they would acknowledge it already!! This waiting is torture

2 Likes

It just shows their competency. You used CMU in your message, did CMU repeat the same mistake within 6 months?

2 Likes

PR messes are forgiven when the entity takes corrective action. Silence is not a good look. I’ve been speculating that the original decision date may have been this week all along but then something could have happened to postpone it. Unfortunately nobody told IT to hold off on the “set up your email” email that usually follows an acceptance. In any event, someone needs to send some sort of notice/explanation and ideally provide a firm release date as a mea culpa.

4 Likes

Our son got the email as well… we’re in Michigan.

1 Like

Exactly. Anyway, we are moving on. And I’m done with NEU and this does not reflect well on its graduates.

1 Like