Northwestern Class of 2027 Official Thread

OMG! Daughter is in! School of Communications. Northwestern Scholarship! 4.0UW. Lots of AP’s. Student Council. International DECA competitor. Community Service on city boards.
Selected as WA representative for FBINAA youth leadership program in Quantico. 4 year varsity athlete. We can’t believe it!!! Fully expecting to be declined due to low acceptance rate! Holy cow!!!

5 Likes

Congratulations, SoccerMom71, to you and your daughter. What is the Northwestern Scholarship? Did they inform you of that in the acceptance “letter”?

2 Likes

I got yield protected too!

3 Likes

Yep - generous scholarship. It was outlined in the financial aid section.

2 Likes

waitlisted…
omg this is my THIRD waitlist in a row (Wellesley, WashU, and now NW…)

4.8 gpa valedictorian
good ECs (founder, president, did some research but not anything super major)

as of rn, headed to UCLA! but fingers crossed for the rest of my applications :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@R_A2 Thank you! UCLA is in-state for us, would be the cheapest. Its engineering is not as good as Purdue but would graduates still be pretty competitive in the job market?

4 Likes

My college counselor asks me to report all of my results to him for our school’s data. I emailed him to tell him that I was rejected, and he replied something to the tune of “Northwestern so heavily favors ED to the point where it’s silly.”

Incidentally, I remember having a similar conversation with him in the fall, where he said “I think you’d probably get into Northwestern if you applied ED. RD? I’m not so sure.”

Future prospects, take note!

5 Likes

You can’t beat the reputation of UCLA - #1 public university in the US.

6 Likes

Yes, thank you. Didn’t think it was going to happen, given the percentages. I know theatre major is capped at 100. She applied with the MT supplemental portfolio and the extra essays, so even though it’s extra work, it probably helped to see her personality (especially because she didn’t get the interview.)

1 Like

I would recommend UCLA. Purdue is traditionally great for engineering, but note that admirably Purdue has held its tuition quite low due to Mitch Daniels’ fiscal conservative philosophy (I believe he did not increase tuition during his whole term). While I admire that from all students/parents perspective, if you are IS, UCLA will have more investment/resources/faculty salaries due to high OOS/International tuition and more funding from the state.

3 Likes

Agreed. Some of the most interesting, well adjusted people I know went to Macalester.

3 Likes

@NoCaDad He is leaning towards UCLA. 17/18 year olds don’t pay that much attention to rankings. He felt more familiar with UCLA than the others, knowing people from previous graduating classes both at school and martial arts studio attending there. Kinda like joining a high school sport team because of friends:). For parents, the in-state price is really great!

1 Like

D23 ACCEPTED! We are surprised after seeing all the rejections here.

Applied to Communications (Film/TV)
Large public CA HS
IB Diploma candidate
4.0/4.6+
Rank 1/550
ACT 35
Very good ECs, in areas related to intended major, plus sports and such
PT job
Her essays were beautifully written but definitely not your standard college essays-- it was risky. I guess it paid off.

Accepted: Colorado, Wisconsin, Syracuse ($30k/yr merit), Northwestern
Waiting: Emory, Wesleyan, Michigan

I am SO GLAD her twin brother got into one of his top choices yesterday after 7 rejections/WL. Now they can celebrate together.

9 Likes

Waitlisted :confused:
Sad, because Northwestern was one of my dream schools
Hoping for other positive results going forward

Congrats to everyone who got in

3 Likes

same as Graphitemovermom, no extra docs, no changes, etc.!, thought that meant a no! D23 accepted. Theatre major! School of Comm. . No interview. Attended webinars and went to Cherub program last summer. Congrats to all

4 Likes

S23 accepted. Northwestern and Williams are his top choices so far. 5 acceptances/1 waitlist/1 rejection.

One more week to go!

4 Likes

What do D23 and S23 mean?

Daughter/Son graduating high school in 2023.

2 Likes

Ahhh thanks.

It’s the only way to get in anymore. Which is sad for the ones that need to compare financial aid packages.

1 Like