Northwestern Class of 2027 Official Thread

same

I also want add that she submitted test scores . She was not offered an interview and did not tour the school

1 Like

Accepted SESP!

4 Likes

Wondering what youā€™ve read to decide Purdue Eng is stronger than UCLA? My d23 has a handful of Elec Eng offers so far and sheā€™s having trouble making a decision. Thank you for any insight and congrats to your senior!

This is Northwestern thread, pls post your question in Purdue or UCLA threads for better reach.

1 Like

@RebeccaRhee I sent you a message.

D23 is now trying to discern what the student body and student life vibe is like at NWU. Our visit was freezing cold and all outdoors due to COVID restrictions ā€“ so not the best. She wants a welcoming environment where students support one another, collaborate, and make some time for fun and relaxation in their busy academic schedules. She wants to feel like she is part of a community. We couldnā€™t tell if NWU has this quality. Can anyone offer me any insights or experiences in this regard?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a surprising rejected list.

2 Likes

There are a lot of clubs at Northwestern and opportunity to find your ā€œown peopleā€. Which dorm you live in your Freshman year can also make a difference - some are much more social than others. My son is a Junior at NU (we call it NU, not NWU) and has made some great friends and finds the environment very supportive and welcoming. He works really hard (Mech. Engineer major), but still has time to socialize, join a fraternity, and play in a couple of rock/jazz bands. He just got back from spring break in Cancun with ~a dozen friends.
As a Division 1 school in the Big Ten, it also has really strong school spirit. Some students will joke that they ā€œbleed purpleā€ (school color). Good luck!

1 Like

S23 was accepted over the weekend. NW was not a school on his list originally (he has a strong aversion to cold weather), but some kids from previous classes have raved about NW leading him to take a closer look. He found strengths in his intended fields of studies. As a bonus, S21 goes to school at UChicago which is close but not too close (didnā€™t want the same school as his brother).

Some stats:
Intā€™l
1530 SAT
12 APs
4.0 UW, 4.5 W
Two math Olympic medals
NHS, Drama
Captain of the basketball team
Secretary General MUN, several awards
Contributor on a published medical paper

Accepted: UNC OOS, UVA OOS, UCLA OOS, UCSD OOS, NWU

4 Likes

I suppose theyā€™re simply being harsher on international students this year. The fact that I hadnā€™t submit any standardised test scores probably didnā€™t help either, however, this shouldnā€™t have mattered for the UCā€™s who claim to be ā€œtest blindā€.

Its all a gamble at this point.

I believe he will get some offers from Ivyā€™s.

1 Like

You are beyond NWā€™s level. Apparently yield protection.

1 Like

unfortunately, I doubt that. NW is an extremely selective school and are unlikely to yield protect. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong but from what Iā€™ve heard, the yield protection strategy is mainly used by lower tier schools.

9 Likes

Havenā€™t seen anything to indicate that thereā€™s a sea change for internationals. Admissions always has a crapshoot element to it that can drive you up a wall. Hope you find a good spot.

Weā€™ll see how things shake out. Has a couple schools higher on his wish list that will answer this weekā€¦but he also wants to do a thorough due diligence. Northwestern is the one school that he wasnā€™t able to visit and he really dreads the cold winters. Mom is over the moon cause shed like to have both kids in the same city.

3 Likes

My CA girl was surprised and delighted to get into NU. It has some perfect programs for her. But now that reality is setting in and sheā€™s checked the weather I sense that sheā€™s terrified. Does anyone have kids at NU (who grew up in warm weather places that really hate the cold) that can give us some advice on making this decision? CA girl has UCLA, UCSB, UCI, UCSD as her warm weather options - the later boasting about 300 days of sunshine on their website :joy:!

Both Chicago and NWU have large contingents from California. That first winter can be rough, but they eventually adapt. My son went up from the tropicsā€¦was wearing shorts in March by his second year.

3 Likes

My CA girl is not concerned about the weather. He sister is a sophomore in western Massachusetts. She sent me a pic of her playing rugby in a bikini yesterday. They definitely adapt. Just gotta buy the right coat and boots for Dec-Feb.

3 Likes

Wow - mine has a sophomore sister in Western MA too! Mineā€™s at Smith College, is yours?! No bikini pics from mine yet! Thatā€™s actually part of the problem for my younger one. We have dragged her to Northampton many times and she always canā€™t wait to get back on the plane home! But she does love Boston and also has a good college option there and waiting to hear from a few more. But NU!!! Itā€™s so amazing. We are going for Wildcat Day so hopefully that will help clarify things for her. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes