Northwestern vs. Notre Dame vs. UNC Chapel Hill

Hi! I am a senior from NJ deciding between Northwestern, Notre Dame, and UNC. Cost is not an issue. I am also still deciding what I want to pursue–I am in at Medill for Journalism at Nortwestern but in the College of Arts and Sciences at the other two. I think I may go down business as a career path in the future, though I was not accepted to any business programs at any school I am considering. One of the only things I know for sure is that I would like to work in NYC–so a good alumni network there is key.

My first choice school was Duke, as I was hoping for warmer weather, but with the options I have right now, I am not opposed to the chills of the Chicago area. I also want to go where will be the most motivated and socially happy–which UNC, with 80% of the student body being from in-state, seems risky. Besides that though, I do love the Chapel Hill area.

I also want to rush a sorority, which ND does not offer. A lot of people in my area go there, and I am kind of looking for something new–but I don’t want to pass up on a great opportunity (I am visiting ND and Northwestern in 2 weeks).

Please let me know your thoughts on what I should pick before May 1st!

Well I think the visits will clarify for you. I don’t see why you would go to UNC other than the weather - I am sure there will be plenty of New Jersey kids but as you say most kids will be from NC and you will be paying a lot more than them for same education - some people don’t mind that but it would bother me. ND I think is a love it/hate it place. Suspect you will know right away which it is for you. Are you comfortable with that type of Catholic school culture? I would do Northwestern (it makes moving between the schools very easy should you decide to). But you can’t go wrong and you should feel the culture fit on admitted student days!

2 Likes

Northwestern.

2 Likes

I don’t think at ND the Catholicism is shoved down the students’ throat. The Catholic spirit is there but is not forced. They even have Moslem students association there.
When we went on a tour, one tour guide joked that during application process, 80% were Catholics, but once they were admitted, the numbers dropped to 60%. Another guide mentioned that he (a senior) only went to mass once during his 4 years there. There are daily masses in each dorm but students are not required to attend.
Yes, ND doesn’t offer sororities and fraternities. So if that’s your main factor, then ND is definitely a NO.
Northwestern and Notre Dame are also very different location-wise so I suggest you take into account this factor. Compare how you feel with the Chapel Hill area.

We are in state NC and my daughter went to UNC. She has several, very close out of state friends (from NY, FL & CA, if it matters). My observation during her time there was that they were very welcoming to out of state students. UNC can sometimes feel like 13th grade, with all of the in-state students there, many of whom know each other - so meeting OOS students is exciting.

I will say that you have to make the effort as well. If you’re very introverted or shy about meeting people, it will be more difficult.

She was also in a sorority and had a great experience as a member (all of her out of state friends were in sororities as well). The rush process can be an emotional one (at almost all large, southern universities, not just UNC) so you should be prepared for that. Again - if you are comfortable with putting yourself out there and meeting new people, you should be fine.

Both the business and the journalism schools at UNC require separate applications (unless you’re one of the few, lucky auto-admits). I don’t know about the difficulty in getting into the journalism school but getting into Kenan Flagler is difficult. You’d be competing against many who will already have internship experience - so take that into consideration. You could major in econ, which is not in the business school, and still do extremely well in job market. Lots of KF & econ grads work in NYC.

Weather is definitely better in Chapel Hill. Long, windy winters in Chicago & South Bend.

I agree that visits will help. Good luck - great options all around!

ETA - I thought I read that Northwestern is phasing out Greek life as well?

I don’t see anything about phasing out but could be wrong. See article below. It looks like recruitment has changed. They still have Greek Life on their website and perhaps the student can follow up.

NU is just superior to the other two - plain and simple. There’s Medill - world class. Really the entire school is - frankly, I’d put it on par with and in some ways above Duke.

Not sure they offer business undergrad but they’ve got econ and NU crushes it job wise. UNC is competitive entry Junior year.

I personally don’t see them on the same plateau - nor UND for that matter although it’s a fine school.

I may be jealous - NU turned me down undergrad and grad - but I’ve always put it at the top and would never pass down the chance…affordability assumed. I’d never go anywhere I could not afford.

1 Like

What article!

sorry and found a second and third. But I think they have and will have Greek life but OP can check. The first article was the one I was referencing.

Northwestern Greek life begins recruitment amid abolishment movement (dailynorthwestern.com)

2,000 protest Greek life after alleged druggings at Northwestern fraternities (dailynorthwestern.com)

Northwestern Greek Life Is Imploding – Chicago Magazine

Based on our visits (son is heading there in fall!) Northwestern stil has lots of kids in sorority/frat life (more than 10% I think I am sure you can find out) but it is certainly not frat dominated and I do think admin is looking to deemphasize it for all the usual reasons - the popularity took a hit also during Covid when kids couldn’t live in frats. My son isn’t interested in Greek life and thinks it won’t be an issue at Northwestern. I also agree that academically I would place Northwestern above the other two am fully on par if not higher than Duke, though obviously all are great schools with amazing academics. I also think that Northwestern vibe is quite a bit nerdier than the other two (and my son will be contributing to that lol).

3 Likes

Go Wildcats!

I agree with the other posters… on paper Northwestern seems the best fit for you academically and for your career goals. Only you will be able to determine which school provides the environment where you will be happy for four years. Congratulations on these excellent options!

1 Like

Congrats on these opportunities! I think the visits will clarify things for you.

My daughter was an OOS student at UNC, and initially the social piece was difficult due to two factors: there were many instate students who seemed to already have friend groups, and she had some personal issues (thankfully she is fine now). Being an OOS student at a state school is good for some, but not for others. Thankfully it worked out and my D was very happy. She had friends from all over the country.

Greek life is not big, but it’s there if you want it. My daughter had no interest, and her social life revolved around other things.

The journalism school at UNC is outstanding, and she had a close friend who was in it and was (still is) quite successful in terms of internships, jobs, etc. I don’t know how difficult an acceptance it is. Being a direct admit at Northwestern is a huge, huge benefit

It sounds like Northwestern is your best choice (congrats) and once you finish your visits you may feel confident in your decision.

Thank you everyone for your replies! After visiting and lots and lots of consideration, I unexpectedly chose ND. While I was against it at first because of catholic school, I couldn’t even try to hate it when I got on campus. I am determined to get into the business school, which is apparently feasible if you get to know the professors in the department. While, I loved NU at first, getting a better feel at accepted students day helped–it was just not my vibe/people.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.