Not Even In The Top 100!!

<p>I was looking at business week online to see the top 100 business schools. Last year Virginia Tech was 56th or 57th and this year they are not even in the top 100!!! What happened to the business school. People on this website told me that Virginia Tech was as good as UVA. This clearly wasn't true as UVA is up there with UPenn - Wharton. UVA had an index of 99 (last year it was 92) and UPenn had a 100, Donald Trump went to Wharton. Virginia Tech wasn't ranked but yet you tell me Tech is as respected as UVA????</p>

<p>Rankings are not everything.</p>

<p>yea vtech has a better engineering program than uva</p>

<p>I think there is a problem with that. Tech was 59th in 2007 and fell off the map. There is a mistake. But this is just one ranking by Business Week. Does anyone have the newsweek rankings?</p>

<p>v3ndetta – “yea vtech has a better engineering program than uva.” I knew that someone what say that. I looked into it and it turns out that yes, it does have a better overall engineering school than UVA. But the Agricultural Engineering program is the standout. Because is so highly ranked it lifts the other programs up with it. This is not saying that the other programs aren’t good, but there are some fields that a UVA student would be looked at over a VT student. </p>

<p>WoodPost – If ranking aren’t everything then why do people always say that VT has a better Engineering program than UVA? VT is ranked higher then UVA but doesn’t have the same caliber of student. UVA is a leadership school and doesn’t that look better to an employer?</p>

<p>Barrett08 – My cousin graduated from Pamplin in 2005 he didn’t find a job until April 2006. Students like him are the reason why the ranking fell. The whole time he was at VT all he could talk about was how much money he was going to make and how good of a school Pamplin was. He went on numerous interviews and people saw right through him, we set him up on an interview with one of our neighbors only to find out that he knew nothing of about finance (that was his major in college). The neighbor was a VT grad himself and was very disappointed by the VT grads he interviewed.</p>

<p>dude. If you look at USNEWS rankings, agricultural is definately top, but its not like the others are lacking. UVA isnt even top 20 for most programs, but VT is top 20 for almost every one, and top 10 for some. VT > UVA in any engineering field. Definately UVA has better buis/law/pretty much everything else.</p>

<p>Student3311 what's your point? We can say that that school is better at this and that and is higher/lower ranked but at the end of the day it's up to you to make opportunities after college. If you're so insecure about your ability to impress future job employers than yeah you should go to the highest ranked school so you can rely on the prestige of your degree.</p>

<p>lol, well said HyunwooP!</p>

<p>Very well said HyunwooP.</p>

<p>US News places Tech Business as # 41. There are serious descrepancies on how this stuff is determined. Businessweek ranks UVa 2, US News has them at 9. USNews has Washington & Lee, the School of Bankers sons @ #126 and you need killer stats to get in there. There is huge disparity between these lists.</p>

<p>I think they throw darts at a list of names to get this stuff.</p>

<p>Well one thing is for sure Virginia Tech, on most lists, is ranked 1, 2, or 3 for best campus food :)</p>

<p>Sounds like the OP needs to get those applications into MIT and the Ivy league if he's putting all his faith in the name on the degree.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Student3311 what's your point? We can say that that school is better at this and that and is higher/lower ranked but at the end of the day it's up to you to make opportunities after college. If you're so insecure about your ability to impress future job employers than yeah you should go to the highest ranked school so you can rely on the prestige of your degree.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>10char10char</p>

<p>If you read the Business Week website carefully, you will see that VT was not included in the ratings this year because there was a lack of response from the program. They have to have a certain number of respondents to be included in the rankings. If you look carefully at the ratings from 2006 you will see that VT was ranked very highly by recruiters almost as high as UVA which is really important.</p>