Not in the ELC category

<p>It tuned out that my son is not within the top 9% of his school as previously thought.
Now we are worried that he may not get a place in UCs though he has a high SAT score (2230).His GPA is 3.79 (UC GPA ~ 4.09). We are debating whether he should apply to couple of state colleges as safeties.</p>

<p>What percentage of kids outside of ELC get selected to UC’s?
Do UC 's choose local path over statewide path?</p>

<p>To which UCs did he apply? He would probably be a safe bet for UCM, UCR, and UCSC, so hopefully he applied to one or more of those. The middle UCs look good for him, but they are not a sure thing. If he only applied to UCB, UCLA and UCSD then, yes, he definitely needs a safety (and that would be true whether he was ELC or not).</p>

<p>Assuming he is a California resident, the CSU priority deadline was November 30th. Several CSU campuses are no longer accepting applications. The following CSUs are still accepting applications for Fall 2014:</p>

<p>Cal Maritime
CSU Bakersfield
CSU Channel Islands
CSU Chico
CSU Dominguez Hills
CSU East Bay
CSU Fresno
CSU Los Angeles
CSU Stanislaus
Humboldt State</p>

<p><a href=“Cal State Apply | CSU”>Cal State Apply | CSU;

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Today he added UCM and UCR as well.</p>

<p>I found the following information listed at
[UC</a> Davis General Catalog | Admission as a Freshman](<a href=“http://catalog.ucdavis.edu/admission/freshman.html]UC”>http://catalog.ucdavis.edu/admission/freshman.html)</p>

<p>“Statewide Path
Most students attain UC admission through the statewide path. Under this pathway, the top nine percent of graduating students in California according to the UC admissions index are guaranteed admission to a UC campus. To be eligible, you must satisfy the following subject, scholarship and examination requirements…”</p>

<p>My S applied for Fall 2013 and was not in the top 9% of his high school but in the top 9% of the state.
He was accepted to UCR/UCM/UCI/UCD/UCSC. Your son has a good chance at most of the UC’s. UCB/UCLA could be reach. Good Luck.</p>

<p>Thank you Gumbymom.</p>