Not in the top 10%...am I screwed?

<p>I do not take you seriously at all (I think your quite a character) and I will say again, if you can’t play, you don’t get on the team. If you can’t study, you don’t get into college. And until you can tell me why if there has to be AA in the university setting there shouldn’t be AA in every other setting, for example: NBA teams, College sports teams, scholarships, grants, etc I have won this argument.</p>

<p>Your analogies are pointless. Again, please keep your feelings and thoughts about other people out of this … No one really cares.
Where have I implied that we need AA in the first place? You obviously “won” an imaginary argument against yourself. Congratulations!</p>

<p>All I was saying was don’t kick dirt on someone’s credentials or assume AA for URM college acceptances. That was my argument. I don’t know why you just randomly brought up topics that no one was even discussing to begin with. </p>

<p>And what do you mean that if you don’t study, you don’t go to college? Is that forwarded to URMs? I hope not because if it is, you’re just making more of an ass out of yourself. Are you saying that URMs don’t study and therefore, should not be going to college? Clarify. (I guess I’m arguing with ignorance out of boredom)</p>

<p>And yet, you avoid answering my questions toward you in my previous posts. Quite a winner here. Again, congratulations!</p>

<p>dylandlima, you seriously need a hobby. And no, that doesn’t include spamming a college admissions forum with ignorant comments. Maybe knitting? I hear it’s a very relaxing activity, so that will probably help ease the amount of hate you clearly posses.</p>

<p>I’m going to side with dylandlima here. With your stats I don’t think you’ll get into</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>But apply if you want, what do I know? You asked for our opinions and that is what I think.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The OPs credentials are good but they aren’t good enough for the Ivy League or Stanford. Just because you tell someone they won’t get into Columbia, Brown UPenn or Stanford doesn’t mean you are saying there is something lacking in their credentials. The OP is better off being told he might want to set his sights on any of the fine institutions he is likely to be accepted at.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I didn’t see anything in any of dylandlima’s posts on this thread to suggest that is what he thinks.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Everyone works hard, hard work is mandatory.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s rather the point isn’t it? The OPs credentials are not even close to perfect which is why I don’t think he’ll get into and Ivy’s or Stanford. As near as I could tell that is what dylandlima was saying, and he had the guts to post it even when it was clear no one else wanted to say it.</p>

<p>Very respectful opinion, Pea, without lashing out into complete nonsense and foolery.</p>

<p>To your first quote: And that’s the problem I see with CC … everyone’s too number crazed and statistically dumbfounded that they totally judge college admissions chances straight off of scores and GPAs. I’m by no means saying that the OP has a shot at any of those schools. She might even get rejected from her safeties … and that’s the randomness of college admissions these days. You never know for sure with any school. That’s a fact.That being said, we shouldn’t discourage any applicant, no matter what their background is, from applying anywhere. We have no knowledge whatsoever of the facets of the OP’s application, including essays, recs, the facts of her ECs, exc. If I was a Junior heading into my Senior year, I’d be utterly devastated to see what dylandlima had written and I’d find that discouraging. Saying someone’s credentials “suck” and then being ignorant enough to say that URMs depend on AA for college admissions is simply terrible. It’s NOT a myth that non-URMs with low GPAs and low scores get accepted into Ivies and M/S. </p>

<p>To your second quote: This guy is spamming threads besides this one with personal hatred towards his belief that URMs depend solely on AA (keep in mind how vast and unapplicable his diction was when mentioning URMs). He hasn’t mentioned anything about URM students oftentimes having signs of higher academic achievement than non-URM, which would give way to evidence of URM being admitted without a trace of AA under their belts. He hasn’t owned up to the questions I asked neither, showing hesitance. </p>

<p>To your third quote: Of course. Why did dylandlima’s general statements about not studying imply otherwise of URMs?</p>

<p>To your fourth quote: A fair majority of Ivy and S/M admits’ credentials are far less than perfect, from all backgrounds. Facts. No college wants an entire undergraduate population of machines at their institutions. School would be incredibly dull and overall, rather uninteresting.</p>

<p>Like I said, AA is fading away every year. Everyone just has to heat up the competition and stop crying.</p>

<p>My statement that people who don’t study shouldn’t go to top universities like the ones OP is considering applies to everybody, not just URM’s. But you are completely right in saying that we have to heat up the competition, and hopefully the competition will be heated up. What you need to do is drop all notions that I am being racist. I also must apologize for some of the remarks I have made, as they were in bad taste. In my initial post I shouldn’t have used the word “suck”. So I propose a truce. And am sorry for my remarks. And I am not spamming at all. I have replied to your remarks on TWO threads. Not spamming.</p>

<p>@Pea Thank you for the support. I think that we would have had a lot of other people say exactly what we said if this thread had been posted in the What Are My Chances forum.</p>

<p>And also, just miscellaneous information, I am also a minority. But my minority status does score points with universities, it actually may lower my chances.</p>

<p>The only reason being Asian “lowers your chances” is because Asians make up a very large and competitive pool of applicants. If you’re so desperate for someone to blame, blame your fellow Asian applicants, not Affirmative Action or a group that typically makes up less than 10% of the student bodies of top schools.</p>

<p>Dylandlima-entrance into the NBA is different than college admissions as it is considered entrance into the workforce rather than schooling. The entire idea of hiring workers is to find the best possible person to work at such job and if us Asians (yes I am Asian) can’t work well then we should not be in the NBA. </p>

<p>Also I feel your first post was absolutely uncalled for. You have no right to criticize his work ethic or his ACT score (which is within all the 50% ranges of the schools that are “a waste of money” 31,28,30,26). You know virtually nothing about him and yet you immediately hop on him being an under represented minority. You seem to feel that the fact he is a URM is the only reason he is considering these schools. Who says his “really good” EC’s aren’t starting a soup kitchen while winning a large Siemens award? The kicker is that you rant while your wondering if you can game the system <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/common-application/946413-i-dont-know-what-race-put-my-application.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/common-application/946413-i-dont-know-what-race-put-my-application.html&lt;/a&gt; to become a “URM”. I pity the URM posters who will be asking to be chanced in a couple years if you don’t get into JHU, since right now you are already flaming URMs as a sophomore in highschool. </p>

<p>OT-You should probably post more information-course rigor, ECS, and did you take the SAT? I know Texas had a fee wavier.</p>

<p>I am part portuguese and that is not in any way gaming the system. I am part portuguese which is displayed in my religion (Catholicism) and my last name. I already apologized for some remarks that I made that were in bad taste. And I proposed a truce, I am obviously read to move on.</p>

<p>To the OP: if your school really is as competitive as you say, your GPA does NOT suck. People don’t understand that a GPA is usually considered under the circumstances of one’s school. I don’t think anyone at my school has had a 3.8+ GPA in a while, yet there are a handful of HYP admits each year. The more competitive a school, the lower the average GPA of a student at these top schools may be.
Your ACT score, however, may be a cause for concern. Try to retake the exam before you apply in the fall. But don’t listen to any idiot that says your ACT score “sucks.” It doesn’t. That’s all I have to say.
And do not underestimate the power of a strong essay. Have a college counselor or strong writer read over it. Top applicants at my school allow my school’s college office to use their essays as “samples” for others to read (nobody can plagarize these essays though, because at my school, the college counselor reads through everything before you even hit submit), and to be honest, I wasn’t surprised to see why some students were admitted or rejected after reading their essays. One of the tippy-top students had one of the worst college essays I’ve ever seen; it was dry, and impersonal, and if I were an adcom, it would not leave me wanting to learn more about this student. Another student, on the other hand, had such a deep and personal essay, that there would be no way I would dismiss this student as unqualified with nothing to bring to the plate. This student is Asian (with a sub30 ACT score), and currently attends Stanford.</p>

<p>I can’t say much O.P., but I got into Emory University, and I was definitely not in the top ten percent. Top 25.</p>

<p>I don’t know how Emory compares to those schools, though. You could do the research, if you want.</p>

<p>

Well, how about the fact that slavery and racism set us back a couple of centuries, in terms of both education and economic standing?</p>

<p>Meaning, other races have been going to school a lot longer than us, and that’s reflected with why we’re an underepresented minority in college.</p>

<p>More so, I think economic standing and education level are connected. Impoverished areas don’t have as good schools as others. Wealthier households can “provide more advantages compared to poorer households (breastfeeding, better nutrition, more emphasis on education, parents speak more/bigger words around their young children).”</p>

<p>The reason a lot of minorities are in the ghettos, specifically blacks, is because our economic growth was stunted.</p>

<p>So there’s a good reason for affirmative action, and giving advantages to even it up, and get more of us into college.</p>

<p>Well, I see this thread has blown up quite a bit O_o. I haven’t read every single response, but I honestly appreciate any/all input, however scathing it may be.</p>

<p>^ I know, it seems to always come to that.</p>

<p>@OnBeauty: Sorry? I don’t seem to follow you, haha. Always comes to what?</p>