Not wanting to go to an HBCU

<p>Even without scholarships the tuition is relatively low.</p>

<p>I feel sometimes people think I hate black people. But I think if i can get into an ivy league school I’ll have better opporunity</p>

<p>@Mouse: While I do see where you’re coming from, it is ultimately up to the student to seek out the opportunities that they desire. You can do great things either at an HBCU or at an Ivy, because in the end, it’s really up to you to have initiative.</p>

<p>I agree Ksarmand. I want to go to an Ivy because I know I’ll be challenging my self and meeting bright people. It’s true there will be a lot of bright people at HBCUs, but if I can get into a top school in the nation, why not go?</p>

<p>Yea, my parents always joke that I hate black people. <em>roll my eyes</em> That’s stupid. I just ignore them when they say it. Not wanting to go to an HBCU has NOTHING to do w/ 'me hating black people"…</p>

<p>^Same here. I’d rather go to an Ivy for the atmosphere and the easier access to top-notch opportunities, just like you and Mouse said. But with my back against the wall financially, if I have to go to an HBCU, it won’t be the end of the world: I can still do great things there. Impossible is nothing!</p>

<p>Definitely. It’s what you make it, ya know? You could go to HYP, slack off, and end up nowhere. Or you could go to a HBCU, kick butt, finish top of your class, and end up on wall street making millions! I actually know a guy who went to Howard (or Morehouse) and is on wallstreet now making a lot of money! :slight_smile: …not that money is everything :slight_smile: haha</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>…dude! We live in the glorious U.S. of A! 'Cmon! Let’s be honest here. :D</p>

<p>Honestly! Money isn’t everything…but it’s A LOT of things :)</p>

<p>Hmm this thread is almost dead but I’ll post anyways…
I currently attend an HBCU but i got here purely by accident, never applied, I was just offered a scholarship and was like “What the heck”
But i regret that decision and I am transferring to a PWI next semester. Here’s my experience in a nutshell.
Pro’s:
-I came from a small predominantly black country so it wasn’t much of a culture shock
in terms of size and color.
-Being the best at an HBCU school has a lot of benefits. For example many big companies/schools will intentionally seek out black students in order to meet a certain diversity “quota” (couldn’t think of a better word)</p>

<p>Cons (these are cons for me and I know not everyone has the same problems)
-I didn’t like the overly afrocentric culture. Like being forced to take african-american history (although I point blank refused). And everyone saying “oh because I’m black this, or black that”
-It’s probably just my school, but there is a really disrespectful attitudes among a lot of the students. They are openly rude to professors and don’t seem to care about their work at all. (although this could probably be found in lower ranked PWI’s)
-The music. Not a really valid point, but I just couldn’t stand the “black southern” music everywhere :slight_smile:
-Lack of organization and funding. I am heavily into research and our labs are just not up to par.</p>

<p>And that’s basically my experience. There are a few other points but I just can’t remember them now.</p>

<p>^ Just curious, but which school do you currently attend? Oh and I think I saw that you were from the Bahamas. Which island?</p>

<p>I’m at Bethune-Cookman University and I’m transferring to Michigan State University.
And I’m from nassau :D</p>

<p>Awesome! My dad lives in Nassau. I go there every summer when possible. Do you know of the Millennium Microlabs (on Soldier Road) or Gold Circle/NileCo buildings?</p>

<p>hahaha, never heard of them in my life. What are they?</p>

<p>lol ah ok, those are the places I usually work at during the summer with my dad and uncles. MM is pretty much just where the locals go to get their computers repaired and to use the Internet, but the others are just real estate companies.</p>

<p>oh and Pilot House, but I know you’ve never heard of that.</p>

<p>Punkchique, I go to an inner-city high school in Miami and most of the cons have to do with the school itself and not with HBCUs. At my inner-city school that has a low graduation rate, Bethune is considered a joke. People have opted to attend the community college instead of being stuck at Bethune. They have a low standard of acceptance and came to our school bragging about how easy it was to get in (just need a 2.0 and they beg you to write a short essay) so the kids tend not to value education as much.</p>

<p>I believe it is a good school for gets who barely passed high school and want to go to a 4-year college but do not have the grades and scores to get into a state school, but for someone like you it’s not the best choice.</p>