Notification of Acceptance

<p>Applied for fall 2012 on 11/30/11. I can click on the area to pay my deposit so does that mean I am accepted for sure? Should I be expecting a letter or email, and how long does that take?<br>
Also, when will I get scholarship offers? I don’t want to e last in line for a dorm room but don’t want to lose $200 if I am not certain I will accept offer.</p>

<p>Welcome!</p>

<p>Yes, it sounds like you’ve been accepted. :)</p>

<p>Did you submit your scholarship application? If not, quickly do so. </p>

<p>What scholarships do you qualify for? What are your stats?</p>

<p>What is your major?</p>

<p>You should be getting 2 snail mail letters very soon…one small one with your acceptance letter, and one large one with a nice certificate of acceptance.</p>

<p>If you qualify for any assured scholarships, you’ll hear about those very soon. If you qualify for any competitive scholarships, those are awarded in the spring.</p>

<p>For you to have the best choice for housing, you should deposit as soon as you can. those who deposit later, have the fewest choices. when will you be deciding where you’ll be attending?</p>

<p>Thank you! I REALLY have YOU to thank as UA was not even on my radar until you told me about the OOS scholarships. STATS are GPA 4.25 w/ M780,CR700, CW 720. Intended major civil engineering.<br>
My concerns are the distance (13 plus hours from home) and that even with the OOS scholarship I may end up being able to attend somewhere closer to home for less money. Ideally I would like to wait til I hear financial packages from all my choices before making a decision but that will not be until April and I do not want to have horrible housing. Thinking a visit soon is in order to help decide.</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>With your stats, you automatically qualify for the Presidential Scholarship, which is full tuition for four years. As an engineering major, you will receive an additional $2500 a year. </p>

<p>Do not allow the distance to scare you. My son is in his third year at Alabama. He is between 12 and 13 hours from our home in rural Virginia. The way we see it, airplanes fly both ways.</p>

<p>STATS are GPA 4.25 w/ M780,CR700, CW 720. Intended major civil engineering.
My concerns are the distance (13 plus hours from home) and that even with the OOS scholarship I may end up being able to attend somewhere closer to home for less money.
</p>

<p>Happy to have helped lead you to Bama! :)</p>

<p>With your stats, if you determine that a local school is cheaper to attend, then please let Bama know. Bama has been known to give extra money to those in such a situation. Let us know here first, so we can advise you how to proceed with your contacts with Bama regarding the situation. </p>

<p>You currently have free tuition PLUS 2500 per year. That means that your remaining costs would be about 10k per year (this might vary with meal plan/dorm choice…and could be less from soph year on)</p>

<p>Tuition: covered :slight_smile:
Housing: 5100 - 8100 (some find less expensive housing off campus after frosh year)
Fees: about 600
Meal plan: 2700 (can be MUCH lower after freshman year!)</p>

<h2>Dining Dollars: 600 (refunded if you don’t spend them)</h2>

<p>about 9,600 - 12,500 (depending on choice) </p>

<p>Then subtract the 2500 engineering scholarship…so remaining costs would be about $10k or less.</p>

<p>Don’t let the distance scare you. What state are you in? </p>

<p>What other schools are you considering?<br>
What FA packages are you expecting from them? (keep in mind that nearly all schools will put full student loans in FA packages.)</p>

<p>I am in MD and looking at UMCP, UMBC, Villanova, Bucknell, Carnagie Mellon, Lehigh, Northeastern and MIT ( REACH of course). I have no idea if I will be offered anything anywhere but keeping my fingers crossed. UA will be hard to beat. </p>

<p>I want to go visit UA in Jan with my dad. I am pretty excited to have one acceptance in place!!! If the students are as nice as everyone on this board I will be thrilled.</p>

<p>Congratulations on a job well done, Kaylynf.</p>

<p>One other thing to keep in mind that only at UA do you start to understand the expression
“Roll Tide”</p>

<p>kaylynf- you could join the Class of 2016 facebook group and talk to some of us who are either headed to Bama or still undecided. Try to search for it on facebook, or PM me for the link since I am not allowed to post it here.</p>

<p>Congrats Kaylynf! Roll Tide! My D is in engineering and is having a great experience. Good luck to you.</p>

<p>You all are so nice and helpful, thank you!</p>

<p>Kaylyn…</p>

<p>Before you visit…</p>

<p>set up a campus tour time online…try for the early morning one on a WEEK DAY that is not a Bama holiday. The faculty and profs are not on campus on weekends or Bama holidays.</p>

<p>If time is precious, only set up the campus tour and not the info session. The info at the info session can easily be found on the Bama forum (or by asking in a thread). By only scheduling the campus tour, that will give Allison more time to schedule meetings with faculty and such earlier in the day.<br>
[Campus</a> Visits - Undergraduate Admissions - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://gobama.ua.edu/visits/]Campus”>Visit)</p>

<p>send an email to Allison Verhine in the Honors College </p>

<p>In the email, include:</p>

<p>tour time and date
student name & contact info
test scores and GPA
(if a likely NMF, indicate so)
intended major
professional interests (pre-med, pre-law, pre-dental, etc)
interest in Computer Based Honors program and/or University Fellows Program (if desired)
Also, include any thing else that interests you about the school…such as touring the new Science and Engineering Complex and Shelby Hall. </p>

<p>Allison will arrange the rest of the day…meeting with dept heads, honors faculty, touring honors dorms, etc.</p>

<p>Allison Verhine - Honor College Recruitment Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Special Note!
Allison works very hard on these arrangements and often “hits the ground running” everyday meeting with prospective students/families, so it may take her a few days to respond. However, if you don’t get a response within a few days, resend AND call her. Sometimes mail goes to her SPAM folder and she doesn’t see it.</p>

<p>I will say that UA was very helpful in setting up our visit- we go this Friday. We hadn’t even planned on visiting UA, but then we found out our DD qualifies for the Presidential Scholarships, plus the extra money from Engineering. I sent an email to admissions, and I got a phone call the next day. They’ve set us up with a personal visit based on our DD’s interests. DD’s first choice is Ga Tech, but UA scholarship at this point will be hard to beat. We live in TN, and it’s about 5 hours to Tuscaloosa, but it’s about the same distance, maybe a little more to Atlanta (Ga Tech) and UT Knoxville.</p>

<p>Congratulations on receiving the Presidential Scholarship and the extra engineering scholarship. You are right, that will be hard to beat. Is your D a finalist for the Ga Tech PSP? I don’t know of any other huge scholarship there.</p>

<p>Good luck on your tour of UA. Roll Tide!</p>