Notification of Scholarships & Financial Aid

The point is, peer schools are also not giving out big merit $$ for 33 ACT type kids. TAMU looks to be about 25K, where are you getting a peer OOS eng program that is that cost? 

If your child is looking at engineering, look at the scheduled companies that are interviewing on campus for internships and post graduation. The same ones that interview at Georgia Tech interview at Auburn, and possibly Alabama. ABET accreditation and the opportunity to get your resume in front of the companies your interested in doesn’t make the case for spending $$$ to go to a higher ranked school…IMO.

Google image : “TAMU 22 freshmen by numbers”

Check out where TAMU draws Laurel around. Merit are school’s investment to the high achieving students. No secret, school decided to invest merit scholarships on these students.

Congratulation, some of your DS/DD are school’s investment, for rest of Aggies, parents will make the investment. Dollar short in our pockets but I believe, all will receive same Aggie Ring.

Good Luck and Never Say Never on the Merit Scholarship. There’s always next year.

TAMU is actually very reasonable and comparable to most other state schools. My child is a high acheiver, and did receive 2 merit scholarships. We certainly didn’t expect them, and I don’t depend on anyone to pay for my daughters continuing education.
If you get offered great scholarships at other schools (my daughter did), then take it! If you really, really want your child to attend TAMU (or any school), it is the parental responsibility to pay for it. There are a LOT of high achievers at A&M, and I think they do ‘reward’ those extra high achieving students. They have enough kids applying, that they don’t need to offer any financial ‘bonuses’.
But don’t complain to Financial Aid…
And no offense to any Bama people, but there is no comparison to A&M vs Alabama, when it comes to academics…not even close to the same admission standards. If you want a winning football team, pick the school with rolling admissions ?

Need to chime in here-Mom of 4 and one of students attends Alabama for engineering, and all their programs are ABET accredited with great faculty! President of Alabama is an Aggie, btw. My child was accepted to UT and Texas A&M and loves Alabama (full ride). For all those hating on Alabama, it is a great school, has one of the highest number of national merit scholars, and doesn’t receive the recognition is deserves. You’re right @52AG82, there is no comparison between Aggies and Alabama because Alabama can’t be compared, over 50% of the students are from other states. I would say that the admission standards are different, Bama has 51% acceptance rate with average ACT of 27. they take more out of state students because there are not enough students in Alabama, that is why they recruit. The population of Alabama is not growing, while Texas’ population should double by 2050. Roll Tide! Texas A&M is a very good school, but please don’t act like you are sooo much better, lol.

Has anyone else gotten any departmental or other scholarships yet? If so, how much?

A full ride anywhere is great, but this UA VS TAMU scenario is not referencing a full ride. The presidential scholarship (best case I could see with the stats) still leaves @ 17K for OOS students (plus). In state at TAMU is probably 25K?
If it was just about money, UTD would be cheaper.

@1stCollBound I am sorry, I don’t have any additional info concerning merit scholarships. He had money offered elsewhere but chose A&M. We knew going in that any merit was not likely.

@mokama01 Departmental awards don’t usually come out until March and for class 2021, it was April, so it is kinda like they come out when they show up.

My daughter received a $4,000 ($1k per year for 4 years) Mays Business Scholarship yesterday-it showed up on her portal, and she she got an official letter in the mail today. They already have a mandatory Mays Scholarship dinner planned in November.

Good to know! Thanks @52AG82 and Congratulations!

@52AG82 is your D freshman? if so, did she already committed to attend before decision date?

My understanding is dept scholarships are usually given past decision deadline for fully committed students?

Can you correct me. thanks

@texaggie my daughter is a senior in high school, will be at A&M in the fall. She got Mays acceptance September 19, Business Honors acceptance Nov 4.
She submitted her NSC last week (was waiting to hear from 1 other school, got sick of waiting, wanted to be an Aggie since birth).
She was given Presidential Endowed and Opportunity Scholarships in January.
So Mays came days after she submitted NSC, and she signed Business Honors acceptance letter last week. We have invitations to attend Mays dinner and a Business Honors reception, both in Houston, the next two weeks, and she got those invitations last month. I can’t say for sure if the Mays Scholarship has anything to do with her NSC submission, or if the two truly overlapped each other?
Does that answer your question?

@52AG82 yes and thanks, that sounds perfect. NSC and signed Business Honors acceptance is like fully committed.

Congrats on her accomplishments.

Did anyone receive a Century Scholar scholarship?

Similar question. Anyone receive McFadden or Lechner scholarships?

Haven’t heard anyone in few weeks?

Did anyone receive ‘Notification of Scholarships & Financial Aid’ from TAMU.

@aggie1701 Thank you so much for sharing this. We also will have an EFC of 0 for next year and I was hoping that someone would share. If you don’t mind my asking were you also offered the max in Subsidized loans?

Does anyone have experience with appealing a financial aid package?

@bemart14 Which part of FA are you trying to change/appeal? 1+2+3+4+5 = COA

Most FA should be looked like this below

1. Expected Family Contribution + Work (FAFSA)
  2. Scholarship + Grant (not for everyone)
  3. Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
  4. Federal Direct Unsub Loan
  5. Federal Parent Loan (PLUS) [Separate Application Required by Parent]

Total : Cost of Attendance (total should be around $29,000 per year)

You can update FAFSA, if family situation changes. Let me know how it turns out.

Good Luck,

Thanks @texaggie. Was wondering if it’s worth the while to appeal for scholarships.