November Honors College Programs

<p>My D just received a postcard inviting her to campus for an Honors College Day (Nov 5, 8, 12, or 15). We’ve been to the local Honors College evening reception, two different campus visits (both of which involved visits to Honors College, the last with a personal meeting with Dean Sharpe). D will be on campus for Capstone Scholars Day in January, a long weekend in February for Honor Band, possibly again the next weekend with All State Orchestra, and we’re hopeful she’ll get an invitation for a CBH interview at the end of February.</p>

<p>I’m not sure if she’s going to want to take a day off school to go down for this Honors College visit.</p>

<p>Since she’s already met people personally down there, would not attending put her at any disadvantage or would attending give her any sort of advantage? Or should we just consider it a fun field trip if she finds she’d like a day off school? (Plus, if she decides to go, the event ends early enough I could make it to the yarn store 1/2 mile from campus before it closes for the day instead of waiting until January or February to visit it.)</p>

<p>We’re only a 2.5 hour drive away, so the actual getting there is not a problem. It’s just a matter of whether it’s worth missing the class time in her 3 AP classes.</p>

<p>Since your D has decided on Bama and she’s been on campus before, I don’t think it’s worth jeopardizing her grades in her AP classes.</p>

<p>But, M2CK, is the yarn store having a sale? This is something that must be considered.</p>

<p>Since your D has already visited UA and will be visiting multiple times in 2011, I don’t think it’s necessary that she attend one of the Honors College Days in November. Today was one of the University Days and apart from seeing more parents on campus than normal, it was a typical Friday on campus, though the Honors College was less busy than normal today.</p>

<p>Ha Ha the yarn store, I can relate to that. What is the one like in T-town? Currently moving and have several large tubs of yarn, but of course I could always use more. Will have to get out the needles soon and do something constructive since I will have free time if we ever finish moving. I like to make hats since I have such a small attention span.</p>

<p>D & I went to every event she was invited to last year but I’d say if she’s already going to Capstone Honors Day there’s not much she’ll miss by not going to the Honors Day. Except for maybe a t shirt? I know there was a long sleeve tee at CSD…</p>

<p>Thanks, everyone! D and her best friend have decided they’re not interested in going to this Honors College Day, at least right now. Who knows what might happen in the next week or two? But for now, we’re going to plan not to go. Although, if the boyfriend decides he wants to go (since I don’t think he’s been down yet for a campus visit), she may change her mind!</p>

<p>I haven’t been to the yarn store yet, so I have no idea what it’s like other than looking at their website. I do know they have some sock yarn that’s been custom-dyed for them to carry called “Crimson Tide” or something like that. The name of the store is <a href=“http://www.serendipityneedleworks.com/”>Serendipity Needleworks</a>. I want some of that yarn!!</p>

<p>And it’s so cool to know that others here knit and/or crochet. :)</p>