NROTC Nursing Scholarship Chances?!

<p>Hello! I'm 17 and it has recently dawned on me that I might like a career in the military. My dad is a veteran of the Army National Guard, so I spent a LOT of time running around armories as a little kid. Anyway, I've been seriously considering doing a Navy ROTC program in college, and majoring in nursing.</p>

<p>My stats are:</p>

<p>-attending what is considered the best public HS in my state.</p>

<p>-GPA: 4.35 weighted (Roughly 3.85 or so unweighted)</p>

<p>-SAT: 2100 (750 W/740 CR/610 M)</p>

<p>-active in local theater, show choir, improvisational comedy</p>

<p>-active member of roller derby team</p>

<p>-Rank: 53/279 (18%)</p>

<p>-Volunteer experience at local library & elementary school (currently in process of being a Red Cross volunteer)</p>

<p>-Part-time job</p>

<p>-1st place award for a Civic's video game about bullying (through the Globaloria program), 1st place in several short film competitions (for which I served as Sound Operator/Assistant Director), Leadership Award for Music (given out by my school).</p>

<p>So, basically I'm just wondering if I have a shot at the NROTC scholarship for nursing, and what schools I would be competitive for which offer the scholarship (Naval</a> Reserve Officers Training Corps - Nurse Corps). My current favorites would be U of Minnesota or University of Pennsylvania. If anyone is in an NROTC program or has a child who is, I'd love to know what it's like, too.</p>

<p>You certainly have some great qualifications.</p>

<p>The military has cut back on the number of full scholarships that they issue, particularly to the most expensive colleges. </p>

<p>My understanding is that the services each vary their college aid based upon their own needs for various majors, and the aid varies from year to year. Therefore, don’t limit yourself at this time to any one service. You need to talk directly to recruiters from each service. At some locations, there are multiple services recruiting in the same office. </p>

<p>If any promises are made, get them in writing, but realize they can still break them.</p>

<p>Some college ROTC programs are set up so that the first year has no service commitment, but little money. I would imagine the best scholarships go to engineers and med school students. </p>

<p>I don’t know about navy nursing, but many ROTC students are not receiving large scholarships. </p>

<p>If your high school has a junior ROTC program, I’d join. </p>

<p>My sister joined the Navy after nursing school and was active duty for 12 years and reserve duty for 8 years. There were many things she liked about (such as the ability to travel throughout Asia for free) and many things she didn’t like (such as not getting based where she wanted, and last minute changes in assignments).</p>

<p>@charlieschm Thank you for your response! I am certainly going to look into the Army and Air Force, as well. Based on what I know of AF scholarships, nursing students are not high in line for their best scholarships, but I certainly won’t count it out. Army has some good qualities, as well & my dad is sort of pushing me that direction, too (though he’d rather me not join at all…). Your sister stayed in the Navy for quite a while, so I’m guessing she felt the benefits outweighed the negatives?</p>

<p>Try the following site. Lots of good ROTC/Military insight.
[ROTC</a> - United States of America Service Academy Forums](<a href=“http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27]ROTC”>http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)</p>

<p>@aglages thank you for the link!!! That site is proving to be SUPER helpful!</p>