NSC dates

So there’s the 3 July dates and the August date left for the NSC. I want to sign up for the August date, but not before I visit the university 5 days later. Will the July dates fill first or the August date fill?

I personally would suggest you go to your earliest NSC as possible. all the good teachers and their class sections are going to be filled up asap and if your NSC is too late you might not get classes that you need for your major. Some of my friends took the last date, and they couldn’t take their calculus or physics classes during the fall because they were all filled.

They say they open more sections for later nsc’s for classes, but it’s common for them to only open 2o to 40 classes at a time. I left dozens of students at your NSC, it’s much harder to get your desired classes .

@lessonwitch2 I want the August date so it doesn’t interfere with my summer plans. And since the NSC only impacts one semester, I can deal with it. I’m in Engineering Honors, so I’ll get priority again next semester. But do you know if others think the same way as me (registering for August) or am I unique?

There will be hundreds of people at the August NSC for various reasons.
What @lessonwitch2 is saying, is that you may not get the first semester engineering classes at all. While you may have priority registration for Spring, you may be registering for first semester classes, like Math 151 and Engineering 111 second semester, which delays you taking Math 152.
Mighty risky if you happen not to make a C in a core engineering class and must retake one.
Classes actually do get full and there is not a seat for every student.
Why would you voluntarily want to put yourself in that position because of summer plans?

@Thelma2 @lessonwitch2 can you please explain? If they are opening spots for each course before each NSC, why am I still at risk of not even being able to take my required classes? I’m OK with not taking honors classes for the first semester, but not being able to take it at all?

They open what is left to be opened. You wouldn’t be the first one who left NSC without all of their classes. It happens to a lot of majors. Welcome to registering at A&M. You might be able to pick up what you need when late registration opens or add drop week. My sophomore engineering son came home at Christmas break needing two classes. He was unable to get into two he needed. He was able to get them shortly after the new year.
His freshman year, it took him two weeks before he got his Math 152 spring semester. He’d check it as soon as he got out of a class and low and behold, a class opened all of a sudden, and within 45 seconds, all the seats were gone.

If you are planning to park a car on campus, better reserve your parking pass. Those sell out too. Same with sports pass. Order it as soon as its available. Can’t go to any game of any sport without it, unless someone who isn’t going lets you use their ticket. They sell out too.

Learn how to read the course list and practice making a schedule so you are prepared at NSC and can plug in your CNR numbers quickly to have the best chance at getting what is available.

@Thelma2 is right!

Imagine it like this- if a class has 40 seats left today, after an NSC, 30 seats may be gone leaving 10 seats left. And as more and more time goes on, their is a greater chance their will be no seats left for you in particular. Now say their are 300 total seats for Math 151 possible for the school year. Over time, those seats will dwindle to 0 after the mid-late July NSCs. That is why the August NSC will have few, if not next to no classes.

Sometimes if you have an extenuating circumstance, you can email Eileen Hoy (for engineering) and ask to have your class spots reserved for up to three classes that you think will be filled by your NSC. (However, she can be pretty ruthless to freshman / newcomers so you need a good explanation )

Or heck, you could go to your class Facebook page and write that you want to switch dates with someone . Odds are someone accepted, decided not to got to A&M and would be willing to give you an earlier day. (My cousin did this and got the best teachers without even trying! ) I personally think that aiming for the July date may be in your best interest; you will love the trill of navigating Aggie-land for your NSC on your own when you have know idea what you are doing!

It won’t be the end of the world, but it would help ALOT in the future. I promise.